OT: Top tip for bacon

If you always have rashers left over, buy less? But if they're going to be used within a week of purchase, they'll be fine just kept in the fridge. Preferably in a sealed container.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They have those in Tesco. Dunno if you can get bacon cut to order but how d'ye think one gets slices of ham or tongue? Cut to your order on that machine, that's how.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Friday :

I think it really depends upon what it is. Bacon defrosted I am fine with.

Bread seems to be variable or perhaps the technique we use is. She buys a loaf, opens it then splits it into four slices, which she re-bags and quick freezes it. Sometimes it defrosts nice and fresh, sometimes there are dry parts - maybe her bagging is not a complete enough seal, or it opens in the freezer?

For toast, we just put the frozen bread straight in the toaster.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sorry but that's nonsense.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Nowadays the shop would need separate machines and counters for bacon (raw meat) and ham (cooked meat).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Tried frozen peas? Microwaved of course.

Reply to
dennis

I have, and they're not as good as fresh.

However I don't know anywhere that sells *fresh* peas.

Several-days-old and rather limp peas, yes, at silly prices, but not squeaky-crisp and fresh-from-the-plant peas, no.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Well, yes, but we always buy the same amount, which, some weeks, is used within a few days, and some weeks not. A couple of rashers is always good to have in the freezer, for an emergency bacon sarnie or just general cooking. We like chopped up bacon in beef stews, for example. Bacon wrapped sausages are not just for Christmas.

The whole subject of freezing tends to raise passions. We like freezing, for convenience. Some people don't. We tend to bulk buy fresh veg which is then washed, cleaned, chopped and frozen. Broccoli, sprouts, carrots, cabbage, etc. Some is prepared then frozen. We would never eat a whole swede in one go. Peel, dice, cook, mash then freeze in portions. Even mushrooms and onions can be frozen clean and chopped if destined for a stew or casserole.

Bread. We make some, buy some. Buy a decent loaf, cut into 'chunks' [1] and freeze. Even when thawed, it is a helleva lot better than 'fresh' Mothers Pride.

[1] We're creatures of habit so always eat the same amount of bread for lunch, so freeze bread in chunks large enough for one lunch equals fresh bread daily.
Reply to
News

Have you never tasted fresh peas straight from the garden?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Before or after you have brushed off the insect larvae?

Actually I despair of producing any this year as a pair of surviving French Partridge from the neighbouring shoot seem to think they are a necessary part of their diet:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd wash anything like that before eating. ;-)

Yup. Probably need some form of netting.

But I do think we've been conditioned into thinking frozen or supermarket vegetables are as good as it gets, taste wise. When so much of it is grown for decent yields and long storage life, rather than taste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think Peas are close to being an exception. Microwave from frozen.

Beyond high yield and storage come disease resistance, shelf appearance and ease of harvesting. Who cares what they taste like!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, planted some mangetrouts last week. They are better raw but not as nice as frozen cooked.

Reply to
dennis

Grow your own fish too, do you?

Reply to
Davey

Getting back on topic, is bacon nice when wrapped around partridge?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sadly they are not in season until next September:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No, I buy a peas and corn mix and that is just as good as the fresh.

True of beans too.

They do in fact taste fine.

Reply to
sam

Yes, we have those for a month or two every summer. The excess is frozen (SWMBO possibly blanches those first or am I thinking of another veg?).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes remember mum shelling them interminably ,tasty eaten strait off the vine, but cooked frozen peas were much better.

Reply to
F Murtz

Then we'll just have to agree to differ.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)