OT: Today's Freecycle offer

"WANTED: Morse key / tapper (Bury St. Edmunds)".

Interesting, I wonder why?

Reply to
Davey

There are a lot of active radio amateurs using morse, perhaps he wants to join them?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Davey snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid wrote

There are still some into that stuff.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Lots of Morse on the amateur bands. Go to any one of the web based short wave receivers, e.g.

and you will usually be able to see some dots and dashes in the bottom of the band....

... or he could be the usual freecycle free loader. Even old grotty ex WD keys fetch £30.00 e.g. :-

nice examples can reach £200 or more

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

... .... .. _

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

Yes, I had wondered about their price at auction. It's the kind of thing that appears occasionally at our local sales place. I didn't think £200, though, that's good.

Reply to
Davey

I use a WWII Morse Key 8 Amp No.2, far less glamorous. But I like it…

Reply to
Spike

I use a WWII Morse Key 8 Amp No.2, far less glamorous. But I like it…

Reply to
Spike

It's an emergency, and he wants to go ... --- ...

Reply to
Max Demian

In message snipped-for-privacy@pvr2.lan, Rod Speed snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Although it's been around three decades since passing a morse test was required to get a full Class-A radio amateur's licence, it continues to be a very popular mode of communication. Although these days a lot of the really high-speed stuff is computer-generated and decoded, in principle all you still need is a supple wrist and a working brain.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

flashy hi mound for me on a marble slab.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Well a lot of people used Morse in the services, and many are now getting old. It would be great to use Morse to keep the old brain cells active. If you are a radio Amateur, you can tune around the bands and still find a lot of people sending hand sent mores. Admittedly, these days many bits of software can both send and receive it, but there are die hard who like the old fashioned keys, like the ones some airmen had strapped to their thighs for some forms of communication.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I tried to learn it as a kid. My favourite sender was a bit like a castanet that you squeezed and it sent the pulse of whatever length you wanted. It is quite hard though. Also reading it is difficult through a lot of noise. It used to be mandatory that you learned it if you were a radio operator, and for the exam to become a Ha,, but not nowadays.

I also had a computer program for decoding RTTY, or radio teletype too. That could be fun in the old days, but very few use it these days, as most communication is digital. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I think it was the latter that failed me. Some keys are beautiful to behold and use. Some of the original telegraph keys from the last century tended to be polished wood and brass with big terminals and a lovely positive action. They used to have some at Bletchley Park, but they have more recently gone all dumbed down. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

spring chicken five decades for me....tee hee

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

But you are still looking at £30.00 ....

.. and I gave two away last year..

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

A new offer today: " OFFER: Pine cones (Westley)

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:46:52 +0000 From: nic_f8

13 large pine cones."

Any interest?

Reply to
Davey

Spray 'em silver, sell 'em on the Christmas market for a few quid a pop...

Reply to
Theo

Sell them as weather-forecasting devices. Ecologically sound, low environmental impact, vegan-friendly.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet