OT: Black rain

Anyone else’s car getting covered in black dust from the rain today?

I noticed quite a bit of this this morning and gave my car a quick wash. After a light shower this afternoon it’s back again. (SW Scotland). It’s not like the Sahara dust we had recently. Definitely black.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

you can't say black call it americano

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Black beaches are common on volcanic islands, so perhaps dust from a volcano. I think that Etna and Stromboli are both currently erupting. It has been bright and sunny here today :-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

This is ash from a volcano. I remember seeing that when I could see. Now the question is, where is the nearest erupting volcano? Of course it might be from an area where the lava is decomposing and the wind has somehow brought it up. I doubt if its from the burning of wood, as that sort of ash does not stay up there for long enough. Pummice dust is much highlighters. You would need to look at high altitude winds. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Looking at the Beeb's weather map, Iceland seems more likely. Wind is N to NE today, with the high centred between Scotland and Iceland.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I fear the only crap on my car is goose, duck, and pigeon crap

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Rain of color", Shirley?

Reply to