Toyota headlights, taillights, antenna, buzzer, rear window

Sixty degrees today, last chance to work on car for a while.

Follow-up on 2000 Toyota Solara convertible miscellaneous

Headlights: Hey, they do go on with the switch when the car is not running. I should have thought of that. (I normally never turn them off, only the car.)

Taillights: Hey, they're not on when the light switch is off but the engine is running, only the daytime running lights, headlights on low-brightness. (I guess it's good that I rarely turn the switch off.)

Antenna: Used 10w-30. 6 sections. Even today, a warm day, 3rd section didn't come out of 4th. Turned on the radio and rushed to the antenna, got there in time to pull on the tip but it didn't budge. I will use Liquid Wrench for this section only, on a later day. Reception still good but on a trip through rural areas, sixth section might help. I oiled the other sections so it should retract all the way even when very cold.

Buzzer: when keys left in ignition. I had a hard time finding this 4 years ago, but disconnected it. Last year, found it, reconnected to train key fob. Couldn't find it today!! My back took 3 minutes to recover.

Rear Window: Lexan didn't fit 16 months ago so used vinyl. A friend who has an upholstery shop lent me a big needle and gave me a bunch of heavy white thread. I think it's the kind you see on the bottom of some sofa cushions, etc. This winter, 30" of snow. I expected the thread to rip through to the edge of the clear vinyl, or through the black cloth/vinyl. Or the thread to break in one place and get pulled out as the window itself fell down. But no, the thread broke in 16 places!!!!. At every stitch along the top and most of one side, every stitch broke. Clearly, I used the wrong product. Not meant for wet weather.

So today I went back to my favorite: buttonhole thread. Much thinner (but thicker than normal thread) but I'm thinking it's like most of my thread, cotton-covered polyester (figuring the polyester will do well in wet weather). Only when I'm done do I look at the spool. No mention of material. I had weeks to plan and I should have looked for buttonhole thread with a polyester core**.

Vinyl window is getting cloudy, but strangely, not everywhere. It's not cloudy at the top 3 or 4", and there's a diagonal strip 3 or 4" wide where it's not cloudy. The window isn't perfectly flat, so there are small shadows, but not during the middle of the day when the sun is brightest, only at the very ends of the day when the sun is the weakest. Very strange. I hope to see what one more year will show.

** (Checking online, they have all nylon upholstery thread for less than $3 a large spool. And Outdoor Living Thread Article # D71 UV Resistant thread for about $5. Jo-Anne Fabrics has nothing called Buttonhole Thread. I don't know how that can be. I bought this spool only 46 years ago. They have Dual Duty, made of polyester, $3 synthetic. I should have bought one of these I think. (I also should have looked in my mother's big box of thread. I had that in mind for rare colors and didn't think of it here.) The next time, two years from now, I will, if I still have the car. )
Reply to
Micky

Your vehicle is about 3 generations old by now.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

There's only one solution. JUNK THE CAR !!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

We don't all have the money you have.

Reply to
Micky

...let's see...he served his country, built a business...and is living his dream. Jealous?

Reply to
bob_villain

How does pointing out a simple fact related to finances imply jealousy?

Lots of people have more money and better cars than me. I'm not jealous, it's just life. Good for them. In fact, if the people with the better cars look down on me because of my older cars, they're the ones with the problem, not me. I'm in their head, but they're not in mine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

his dream. Jealous?

What's wrong with implying? Tony has gotten where his is through hard work and good planning...I'm retired and have a 16 yr old and a 21 yr old car... I know what it's like to make payments on a new car. If you can afford that , more power to ya...you planned better than I did!

Reply to
bob_villain

Priorities and how you view things. I know a guy that is president of a good sized corporation. He's worth well over 10 million, maybe a lot more. Drives a five year old Civic. Its just transportation.

I also know people that drive big fancy cars and are late with the payments.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

g his dream. Jealous?

k and good planning...I'm retired and have a 16 yr old and a 21 yr old car. ..I know what it's like to make payments on a new car. If you can afford th at, more power to ya...you planned better than I did!

My comment had nothing to do with Tony or even Micky. It was related only t o the stupidness and irrelevancy of your comment.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, the solution is to read the manual - he swore the headlights could not be turned off with the engine running, and that the tail-lights came on with the DRL.s

Reply to
clare

Maybe he has one special model of Solara?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's not NECESSARILY true. I know people who could very well afford to not only make payments on a new car, but to buy that new car outright for cash every year - and even donate the old one to charity without suffering whatsoever, who still drive older vehicles as a matter of principal and stewardship. That money can be put to much better use, and they can be socially much more responsible, by living well, and well below their means.

Reply to
clare

ing his dream. Jealous?

ork and good planning...I'm retired and have a 16 yr old and a 21 yr old ca r...I know what it's like to make payments on a new car. If you can afford that, more power to ya...you planned better than I did!

to the stupidness

...I guess were *not* buds anymore...your opinion is noted, with grinding t eeth! ????)?

Reply to
bob_villain

There are a lot more people driving brand new cars they cannot afford and living paycheck to paycheck than there are those driving cars that have been paiid for for a few years with money in the bank.

"Having things" and "looking good" is more important to too many people than living well and enjoying life simply.

Reply to
clare

No, he just found out he was wrong on both counts.

Reply to
clare

No, I didn't. I never swear to anything and I didn't even say either of those things.

I said I didn't know how to turn the headlights on without the engine and that I didn't know if the taillights came on or not. I think I said I'd never even thought about the taillights being on or off until I red the thread.

Reply to
Micky