Morse kit?

Apologies if this is inappropriate here, but can anyone point me in the direction of any online resource for making a simple morse code kit for use with children?

What I have in mind is a pair of keys separated by 20 or 30 yards of bell wire or similar, with a buzzer or lamp at each end, activated by the distant key, powered by a battery. Any help gratefully received, including a source of cheap, basic morse keys. Thanks very much.

Reply to
Andrew Hickley

Assuming you haven't Googled, try:

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

This should give you hours of reading...

Dave Plowman (News)

I've not used them but it's looks like the kind of thing you are looking for and the quality look good.

I like the look of their PIC development tool and may have to investigate futher now I've found them.

HTH Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thanks very much for the rapid responses. I have Googled, but not being entirely sure what I'm looking for I haven't had a great deal of success. Most of the stuff I found was either from overseas or seemed rather technical: I have no idea what the difference is between a Twin Paddle Iambic Key and a Straight Key nor what an Oscillator is (at least in this context)! I shall keep looking...

Reply to
Andrew Hickley

======================================= Andrew,

What you want is a pair of keys, separated by 20 or 30 yards of bell wire, with a buzzer or lamp at each end, powered by a battery.

Make a key from a piece of wood, and a pair of nails or drawing pins, bridged by a springy length of metal with a knob glued on.

Just use a little ingenuity. Or the kids can make their own. ====================================

Reply to
Reg Edwards

Ebay's search engine found these:

The Radio Amateur Formerly Kno

If you can run 3-wire cable

Batt----------------------------------------------- | | BULB BULB | | --------------------------------------------- | | PUSH PUSH | | Batt-----------------------------------------------

Pushes are ordinary push-to-make switches such as doorbell pushes. Or you can make a morse key with a block of wood, two screws, and a springy piece of metal.

You can get MES bulbs and bulbholders from Maplin and they also do small electronic buzzers for about 99p. Note the buzzers are polarity sensitive.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

For help try this group

free.uk.amatuer.radio

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

============================== If you don't mind a bit of DIY browse the Maplin website for buzzers, push switches, bulb holders and springs. With a bit of ingenuity you'll easily make all you need for a simple working system. I'll bet old Morse himself would have used Maplin if they'd been around in his day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 299 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

When learning morse its best to buy the Proper Morse Key as its sensetivity relys on accuracy to the dits&dats

:-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

dits&dahs, shirely?

Reply to
G1LVN

============================ True, but I was assuming that the OP would make a simple wheel barrow type lever to compress the push switch - hence the springs to return the lever to the 'up' position.

And in the interests of accuracy, that should be 'di da dis'.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 299 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

.. ..-. -.-- --- ..- ... .- -.-- ... ---

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

If Maplins was around in bluestar line days I reckon they would have went for digital comms. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The "free" hierarchy is an even bigger sewer than u.r.a & you've spelled "amateur" wrongly. Apart from that, well done.

Reply to
Huge

The3rd Earl Of Derby

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andrew Hickley saying something like:

I'm sure that counts as child abuse.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Reply to
Bob Eager

Enlighten me as to the way it should be spelt? bearing in mind I just cut&pasted the group link.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby