Separating Morse Tapers

While flicking through the Axminster catalogue the other day (looking for an elusive long 7mm SDS drill bit!) I noticed that they had a range of drill bits with morse taper shanks designed to be inserted directly into the quill of a pillar drill.

This started the train of thought - What is the "proper" way go about removing something (i.e. the chuck for starters) from a morse taper interference fit?

Reply to
John Rumm

There's a slot in the side of my pillar drill, at the top end of the taper and a wedgy thing came with it, so that the taper can be pushed from the back.

Reply to
Tony Williams

As a follow up to my previous post, I remember that the centre on lathes is usually removed by backing up the tailstock, the tailstock spindle has a pin which pushes out the centre.

Of course if the taper has been seated for a long time to heat up the outside with a blowtorch may be useful...

Reply to
Abdullah Eyles

A taper separation tool. For some tool fittings that is a tapered wedge that fits through a slot at the back of the female taper and bears on the back end of the male taper. If you don't have that slot, it is a pair of folding wedges with a slot in them to clear the neck of the taper.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar