craftsman drill press

My "El Cheapo" drill press is a taper fit and there is a slot in the quill and a strange little piece of metal that came with the drill that you put in the slot and tap with a hammer. A pretty light tap will dislodge the chuck because of the leverage.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Does antone have an owners manual for a craftsman 17" drill press or can tell me how to remove the chuck?

Reply to
csapp

Reply to
Frank S.

This is the way the press was designed for removing the quill. If you = are lucky the quill was put in with the slots in their proper positions = so the removal key would fit right in. The helpful clot that inserted = mine for me neglected to do this. As a result, I will have to use a big = screw driver to lever it out. When I do, I shall make certain the slots = line up properly.

--=20 PDQ

--

Reply to
PDQ

Be carefule here. Most drill presses are a friction fit. Craftsman is notorious for doing things in a propriatary way though. Look at the chuck and see if it has a brand on it such as jacobsen. It may be labled MT or some such thing. MT meanse Mores Taper. MT info can be found at

No

Do you still need help? If so, I have info / photos that can help you. e-mail me direct.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill