OT Today I was late for work - quiz

That is not me. It usually has to be a broken down van, closed motorway, mass flooding, locked up for the night etc to make me late.

I set off on time, the same time I always set off at. 60 mile journey with a good 50 miles on the motorway and dual carriage way (3 miles of the DC with a 40MPG limit and specs cameras) but arrived at work 12 minutes later than usual.

I normally allow 55 minutes for the journey.

So what went wrong?

The only clue is that my "new" van is in the garage for some work doing so I have a 68 plate Peugeot.

Reply to
ARW

speedo in kph instead of mph?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message <sfgvlv$k3r$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

The Pug can't pull the skin off a rice pudding ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Another carefully placed roofing nail?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

van stuck in second gear all the way

Reply to
Robin

Very close:-)

Limited to 70MPH with no warning signs on the van. But that was 70 on the van dashboard display. Sat Nav and Google maps both showed the speed at 66MPH.

Reply to
ARW

It had a bit of a fit when I went for 6th and found out that was where reverse was.

No 6th gear

Reply to
ARW

I once had a test drive in a Honda NSX, which is a lovely car.

I changed down from 6th gear at 80 MPH. I meant to select 4th, but actually selected 2nd by mistake. There was a *lot* of noise, mainly from the salesman sitting next to me. The good news is that Honda engines can withstand considerable over-reving for short periods without spewing bits out of the crank case.

Reply to
GB

It went into limp mode at some point as we all know loan cars are on the bottom of the list to get maintained. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Why would anybody put a warning sign up saying this vehicle cannot exceed the maximum legal limit?

GPS based speed indications are generally more accurate than vehicle speed indications, particularly when travelling in a straight line*, but that does not mean they are necessarily correct.

  • Around bends, they measure the straight line distance between their sample points, not the actual distance on the road.
Reply to
nightjar

No idea, but there are thousands of vehicles on the road with such stickers. And it could not reach the maximum legal limit by 4 MPH.

The A63 where the roadworks are is pretty straight.

I always calibrate new vehicles with a sat nav etc on a straight road.

Reply to
ARW

The journey took you over 20% longer. That's not the difference between

66mph and 70mph, is it? :)
Reply to
GB

but it is near the difference between 66 and 77 mph which is 'what the speedo says and 'you wont get busted for it'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You old git:-) You are now taught never to gear down but to brake.

Reply to
ARW

But it's the M62 to Hull form Leeds. Camera free. I normally do 95MPH.

Fuck all on the road after the M18 turn off.

Reply to
ARW

Pump up the tyres to increase rolling radius ? :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I felt suitably humbled by the incident, and bought a Mazda MX5.

Reply to
GB

Was an apprentice in some way responsible?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom