Weird Iphone SE

I have had this around three years and bought at a refurbed. It's the older version of the SE. Issue is it seems rather confused about the charge state of it's battery sometimes, maybe every few weeks. Unless I am out and about, it sits on a charging stand of my own design, just a stand into which I fitted one of those magnetic charge connectors - lower it towards the stand and the magnet tugs it to make a connection. That part seems to work fine.

I picked it up this morning to use, it was showing its usual 100$ charge, I started to use it and it shut down with low battery. Put it on the stand, back instantly too 100%, picked it up and it shut down again. Repeated and all worked fine with 100% charge showing.

When out and about, I can return home with it still showing near 100% after several hours. Other times, the battery level can drop quite quickly.

Battery diagnostics show it as being a 90% good battery. Suspecting a poor connection to the battery, I have tried banging the phone and cannot reproduce any issues.

Might it be a firmware issue?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Harry Bloomfield;Esq" snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote

More likely the refurb replaced the battery with a non genuine one.

Reply to
Alex

Who knows, which OS are you using at the moment? Do you have any power hungry apps? GPS can often be a bit that way on the older phones. I seem to recall the power saving was a a bit buggy in older versions of ios but the current 14.71 seems a lot better, and that phone will run it, inndeed 15 too according to Apple. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

That is not supposed to be an issue since IOS13, since Apple got a rap on the knuckles over their policy. The batteries were all genuine but the fault you get was not as described, it was just very apparent short life since 100 persent was in fact lowered in case the battery could not take it, in this case it looks like its lying. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The ifixit video shows battery replacement on an SE gen1 isn't especially hard compared to some phones, presumably at only 5 y/o decent batteries should still be available?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've seen symptoms like that with Moto phones over the years. It can be a sign that the battery has had it, but in one case the problem was there with three different batteries including a brand new one. I decided that was the phone, and (as they are cheap enough) just replaced it.

Reply to
newshound

Brian Gaff (Sofa) used his keyboard to write :

It updated just last week to the latest OS available.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Brian Gaff (Sofa) snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

That?s a completely different problem and doesn?t apply to the original SE.

Never a problem with the original SE.

Reply to
Alex

It does not sound like the battery to me since it does work, it just thinks its bad sometimes. What happens if you charge it with the cable and do not use the magnetic thing at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Brian Gaff (Sofa) submitted this idea :

Before I bought the magnetic plug, it would behave exactly the same. It is / was such a rare occurance, that I at first thought it might have been me failing to properly put it on charge, now it is more obvious because it pings when I drop it on the cradle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.