Cam belt change

Would you buy an 11 year old Clio with unknown cam belt history? More than 110,000 miles on the clock.

I've seen a video of how to replace said belt, but is a simpler inspection all that would be required to ensure it's not going to fail, or is there wear that is not immediately visible?

Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

If it is an ‘interference engine’, replace it.

Cambelts can fail long before the recommended replacement time / mileage. (Been there.)

Some cars, it is recommended the water pump is replaced and the tensioner. Check for yours.

Reply to
Brian

By the time you get the covers off to inspect you might as well change it. I don't believe there is any inspection you can do, its not damage as such just structural deterioration with the continual flexing.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I wouldn't consider any french car myself.

If you feel otherwise, yes if the price is sensible, and install a new cam belt.

No they can fail suddenly and f*ck the engine with an interference engine and that model is one of those.

Reply to
Jamesy

Its not so much war as a sort of 'fatigue' . You have to change it no matter what if its done the years or the miles.

You need to factor in the cost of getting it done to the cars value

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The logic there is that there is so much labour involved - and its the same labour - doing those, and the cost of replacements is cheap in parts terms, so you might as well do it at the same time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

buy it change it

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

....and the water pump

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I think most modern engines are interference, and this diesel one is too. Yes, it's recommended to change the water pump too.

Reply to
Grumps

I think you can easily get the top cover off and turn the engine to "look" at the whole belt. But if looking at it isn't enough, then it'll need changing.

Reply to
Grumps

Nor would I, but this is my daughter's decision.

The price is sensible for a car with a known good cam belt. If I (or she) had to pay for a new belt's installation, then the price is far too much.

Reply to
Grumps

IMO the cost of replacing it makes the car not worth buying, but might make it easier to sell on in a couple of years.

Reply to
Grumps

That seems to be the advice here (thanks for all of the replies). Or not buy it and buy one with a decent service history (inc cam belt).

Reply to
Grumps

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Likely because it's the original belt and the seller has decided that it isn't worth paying for a new belt, so I would't buy it.

Reply to
Jamesy

Well, when one went on a car I was in it needed to have the whole engine changing. I guess you need to ask why no history?

I do not drive, and to get stranded when somebody else is driving you makes you feel guilty, but of course it can happen any old time. Why don't they use proper chains any more? Is it just cost?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Generally it seems to be just the valves that need to be replaced. But that's often quite a serious bit of work, especially with modern engines and their ancillary bits.

Reply to
Joe

cost.....I changed my dacia duster belt and water pump at 60k....my other car has a chain and my other other has two chains

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Ideally a record of a cam belt replacement should specify that genuine manufacturer's parts were used.

Long ago, my first encounter with cam belts ended with a 'compatible' belt being fitted by an AA-approved garage. It broke about 9,000 miles later, but due to unusual circumstances, that was over a period of about two years, and the garage pointed out that the repair was well out of warranty. I didn't go back there again, and have always insisted that cam belt changes used manufacturers' belts, and that it was so written on the service report.

Reply to
Joe

I had two cam belts go on Vauxhalls - Astra SRI and Nova - back in the day. In both cases it happened at very low RPM and in both cases it just broke a couple of rockers.

Both around the 80-100,000 mile mark. If car has unknown service history you have to factor this one in. Its not an easy or cheap fix if you end up with a scored bore or a smashed piston. On a low cost car its write off time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher