OT To be fair to people in business

If I have to power up a shed with some SWA the wholesalers charge me double the amount for the cable if the shed is 10m away and not 5m away.

But there is more to it than that. If you are on fixed price for a job (eg new build wiring) and all the materials are supplied for you then you get paid more for a 4 bed house than for a 1 bed flat because it takes more labour time to do the job.

Most people that sew clothes are on piece work.

Reply to
ARW

I've certainly seem clothes and footwear priced by size in other countries. Ultimately, it depends how much of the end-cost is cost of materials and other things that change with size (such as storage, transport, etc).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Very common in the US. Extra charges for tall people, as well as fat ones.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've seen it in the UK, they are not the first to charge more for larger sizes.

Reply to
dennis

BBC talking rubbish again. It's not a moral issue, it's simply a cost/business issue.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, over umpteen years I have been paying the same price for my clothes/shoes as everyone else, and I am on the small-medium size range. I've often wondered why I pay the same, as not only do the larger clothes use more material, but they must take slightly longer to make (on the grounds that a sewing machine will stitch a fixed number of cm/s, and bigger clothes have proportionally more cm to stitch).

Should I complain that I've been subsidising those with a larger frame all this time? ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Before I saw this item, I had always thought it was normal practice to charge more for larger items of clothing

Reply to
Nightjar

In the 1960s, there was a big fuss because miniskirts were costing MORE than 'conventional' skirts!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yup. Will give retailers a perfect excuse to put up prices for larger sizes. Without reducing those for smaller one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of the big costs for business is keeping stock of slow-moving lines or sizes. This factor would tend to increase the cost of less popular sizes. As the population gets fatter, and outsize becomes the new norm, we could see the prices being higher for small sizes!

Reply to
GB

Confusion of cost with price! They are not the same.

Reply to
mechanic

OK, "cost to the consumer".

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think you said that wrong. Its the perfect excuse to put up prices for the smaller sizes so they are the same as the larger ones.

Reply to
dennis

If only the cost to the consumer bore a direct relation to manufacturing cost. If it did, Dyson might be value for money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had a 31" waist for > 30 years - I've always thought I was subsidising the fat bastards.

Reply to
Jim

The worth of any article is what people are prepared to pay for it.

1st principle of capitalism.
Reply to
harry