Concrete posts

Can I drill into concrete upright post to add upright wooden posts to support feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

Reply to
Mr Robert J Beare

No. The rebar in the post is protected by the concrete over it. Without that it'll rust rapidly & destroy the post by breaking the concrete apart. Wrapping flat metal strip round the post could work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1
Reply to
harry

There is metal reinforcing bar in the middle of a concrete fence post.

There are some clamp on fixings that can be purchased to fit wooden fence panels - I'll see if I can find a link sometime today.

Reply to
alan_m

Something from the range...

I was thinking of the rt angle fence fitting when I first replied.

Just be aware that there are different size concrete posts and different size brackets.

Reply to
alan_m

Not "rapidly" IME. Actually the rebar is normally a bit like an immersion heater element, i.e. a hairpin loop bent into a hairpin, giving four wires a little way in from the corners. If you go into the centre of the post, you normally miss the wires and leave sufficient clearance for the concrete to remain protective. Even if you touch the metal, if you use a normal plastic rawlplug type fixing this provides a pretty effective seal once it has a screw inside it. Assuming your post isn't actually being washed by seawater.

Reply to
newshound

You can actually drill the posts, providing you drill the hole clear of the rebar. Usually that will mean drilling in the middle of the post.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Use a spur post such as :-

Peter Parry

might be a better solution.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Depends whether there are bars of steel inside. On one of my front posts the concrete split on the top hole showing the rebar and a big chip missing. That I suspect is why posts are formed with holes already!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes seen this done. You used to be able to get pre formed ones for this very purpose galvanised too. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff laid this down on his screen :

All such posts have to have steel reinforcing in them, the would be very weak and fragile without, even the two foot tall versions once favoured by councils around council properties for wire fencing. The usual steel is around 5 to 6mm smooth sided. A metal detector will easily find it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield