Garage door

Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted. The old one was very rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life. We live in Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction of the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and in the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

petefj

Reply to
PeteFJ

Make of door? Material? Plastic coated steel, or aluminium.

Reply to
newshound

There are many ways. Look on youtube.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd expect a steel garage door to be galvanised. Finding it is rusting after 6 years suggests it either isn't, is of poor quality, or has been damaged.

Treat the areas- remove paint, treat with something like Kurust, a protective primer, and finish coat(s).

Reply to
Brian Reay

Rust will last almost indefinitely.

Reply to
Tjoepstil

Sorry folks. The garage door is plastic coated steel, about two years old. petefj

Reply to
PeteFJ

So is this where the plastic is cracked, or lifting? I don't think there are any easy solutions here. You need to remove the rust (and that probably involves removing locally flaked plastic). Treat with Kurust or similar. Try to re-seal the surface with a good paint. Even if you can find something which sticks well to both the steel and the plastic, it is quite likely to crack over time with thermal movements, etc.

Get a fibreglass or galvanised door next time.

Reply to
newshound

Or a plastic one of course. I see that PVC and ABS are available now. (Some time since I looked).

Googling "garage door paint" offers several products which claim high performance.

Reply to
newshound

Not been using an angle grinder nearby have you?

Reply to
The Other Mike