Concrete Fence Posts - setting out

I have to put in a lot of fencing - planning condition, to save having to redo this in the future intending using concrete H posts and gravel boards - and fix wooden fencing (build on site) between. (aprox 48 posts + ends & corner post) The question is on practical points of putting them in the ground - one guy on site has just done this, he digs the holes - then puts 4" or so of concrete in the bottom with a couple of rebar off-cuts sticking vertically up.

Then at a later date after concrete has set stands in the post, then using a line from first and last post - accurately marks off the post - and then cuts off the excess few inches with a disc cutter, after which he then concretes in place.

Is this normal ? seems a lot of work but he advise this is the professional way to do it.

Second question is - is there a simple way /technique to keep them upright while concrete sets - as these are 8' posts, I can see a lot of 4"x2" needed to hold a post upright. I don't have loads of 4"x2" so it would mean only

2 or 3 posts at a time - very slow.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I think I would insert the gravel boards for each section before concreting the far post in - and then use special quick-setting post concrete, which you put round the post *dry* and then pour water onto it. That way, the posts only need supporting from side to side - the gravel boards will support them in the other plane, and they're guaranteed to be the right distance apart.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

To add to the good advice already given.....

I made a fence last year using the same materials. Cutting the concrete posts to size is not advised and I've never heard of it. To keep the heights the same I just made sure the gravel board was totally level with a spirit level (prop with bricks if need be) and then measured the height of the post to be fixed from the gravel board Digging the holes is the worst bit espcially if there are loads of old stones, bricks and tree roots in the way - it can labour even the strongest man. A quicker way (although I have not tried it) is to hire a petrol hole digger - I intend to try one the next time.

I used quick set post fixing mix as well - absolutely essential. Used to have some smashed up bricks handy as well to throw in with the mix to add some strength. Never needed to support the posts, the mix and bricks held the posts in place firmly after a few minutes of holding.

Reply to
StealthUK

Digging the holes is the worst bit espcially if there are loads

HSS do a large cantilever model - but it won't touch my land, good for soil or sub-soil, but not for very rough made up ground - loads of very large stones.

But would be great for earth.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Put in about 8 posts and boards last year and by far the biggest job was digging the holes due to the crap under the soil from previous fences and then mixing the concrete (no mixer at the time).

Used a dry mix or ballast and cement to hold the posts, half fill the hole with dry mix, compact it down and then square up the post. Then fill rest of hole with a wet mix.

There's a slight difference between the heights of the posts but then the ground slopes away in one direction anyway.

Put the gravel board in as I did the next post, probably the wrong way but I was lifting those things on my own.... ;-)

The finish is as good as I've seen the "pros" round here do and now I've finally made the fence panels I don't think it's too bad for a first effort.

I did it on a daily basis, one post one day and then another post and gravel board the day after. Gives the previous post chance to set a little and you don't get hacked off with the job. Mark S.

Reply to
Mark