[OT] Time left on old passport when renewing

Ireland is different. They have a reciprical agreement with the NHS and UK nationals can get free treatment there - even without an EHIC.

Most travel insurance applications state that you must have an EHIC for visiting EU countries - as the companies don't intend to pay for what they don't need to!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I simply provided a new photo and filled in the online form. I paid, and then sent in the old passport and a document they needed for an Observation I wanted to add.

What they did behind the scenes is another matter.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My understanding is that the rule which makes extensions valid is actually international. The EU gives the concession of allowing extemsion to 10 years past the expiry date, but only for EU members. Once we leave...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I should have said "makes extensions invalid"!

Reply to
Bob Eager

So does Denmark. I was just trying to keep things simple.

Makes sense. If the EHIC gives you treatment for 50 euro the insurer only has to pay out 50 euro, which is probably covered by an excess anyway. .

Reply to
Scott

International rule perhaps but do immigration officers not have some discretion? If you were a rich b*****d on a crulse landing for six hours, I cannot imagine they would turn you away.

Reply to
Scott

When all else fails, read the instructions!

or:

Terry Casey

You mean *not* covered by the excess. So what's the point of insurance in that case?

Reply to
Max Demian

Doesn't explain what the point of the EHIC is, unless insurers insist on your having it, which it doesn't say.

Reply to
Max Demian

Bad wording on my part. What the cynical side of me was saying is that the insurers will be sure to set the excess at a level that exceeds most commonly encountered fixed charges. If I were the insurer

- and I knew there was a fixed charge of 50 euro in France, I would make sure the excess was 60 euro :-)

The point is that if serious money is involved, health insurance comes into play. If there is a small 'contribution' to be made, I doubt any policy of insurance would cover that.

Reply to
Scott

Seems clear enough to me, so why couldn't you find this for yourself on the NHS website?

Perhaps your nanny could have done it for you? You are obviously incapable of going anywhere on your own.

"A valid EHIC gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

The EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home. Treatment should be provided on the same basis as it would to a resident of that country, either at a reduced cost or, in many cases, free of charge.

For example, in some countries, patients are expected to directly contribute a percentage towards the cost of their state-provided treatment. This is known as a patient co- payment. If you receive treatment under this type of healthcare system, you are expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a patient from that country.

The EHIC also covers the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth or seek treatment. For more information about what is covered in each country, see our country-by-country guide.

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is also not valid on cruises.

It is therefore important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy in place before you travel. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC, and many will waive the excess if you have one."

Reply to
Terry Casey

I hope my earlier explanation will assist. The point of it is to put citizens of country A in the same position as citizens of country B for certain medical services. It's part of freedom of movement. .

Reply to
Scott

Stop this ridiculous association with Brexit. Us leaving the EU has NOTHING to do with us being in or out of NATO.

You are perfectly free to discuss the merits or otherwise of Brexit but do not conflate it with totally separate things.

Reply to
soup

Something the brexiteers have been doing from the beginning.

Leaving is going to give more to the NHS. A lie. Leaving is going to reduce immigrants. A lie. etc.

Reply to
dennis

Sounds really complicated .

For my last renewal my son took a photo of me on his mobile I uploaded that to the passport webpage(can't remember its proper name) Edit:- It's part of the full online application process the photo was accepted and a new passport issued.

Had spent five minutes or so reading about what was accepted re photos.

made sure it was the right resolution, no headgear, no shadows etc . First attempt the photo was accepted none of this having to go out to a photo booth or getting an appointment/paying the extra at a photographers.

Reply to
soup

It wasn't about getting lost it was about (seemingly) being treated as a higher priority their end. I sent mine normal post on a Saturday, my granddaughter sent hers the following Friday by recorded delivery. I got my passport back the following Wed, she got hers the following day.

But - we were both in a bit of a hurry.

Also note that the Passport Office just uses suitably sized normal envelopes, not flimsy but not padded or anything apparently special.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I didn't. TW

Reply to
TimW

Okay, I see. It didn't seem like there had been any delay at all with mine, but I'm guessing it's a quiet time of year.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

That's probably my fault, for being long-winded :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I did mine at a walk-in photographer at Tesco.

And just as well - the first one failed the check, as my fake eye was drooping just a bit. He just did another one, I consciously opened it a bit more and it was fine.

Reply to
Bob Eager