Cleaning Hob nozzle/pipework with Electrics still connected

I need to get a gas jet off the hob to have a clean out of the nozzle and any debris in the supply pipework.

Have been told to disconnect the mains electric as its difficult to blow any debris out the pipework with the gas blowing, without setting of the electric spark ignition.

They say setting of the spark whilst blowing gas out is dangerous. In this particular situation its very difficult to turn off the electric supply. (Its connected behind a nearby microwave, that i really don't want to take out of its position; to get at this connection).

Is it really that dangerous, even if it ignites gas coming out of he pipework?

Since I'll be there all the time watching over it. Any suggestions please?

Reply to
john west

Yes it is, It could be an explosive mix. Turn the house of for an hour while you do the cleaning, Simples. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

From your last sentence I assume the work will be done by a qualified gas engineer. He or she will know what to do even if you don't and will be legally responsible for the consequences. I suggest you leave it to the experts. I am sure your engineer would prefer you to find something else to do rather than 'watch'.

Reply to
Scott

Why not pull the fuse/circuit breaker for the kitchen circuit?

Depends what you mean by dangerous. It probably won't do much more than singe all the hairs off your arms, face and fringe when it flashes over. Failure to put it back together again correctly could be more serious.

We had it happen to a guy servicing our gas hob in Japan once. Exactly the same mode of failure, didn't isolate and then it sparked - WHOOF! A surprisingly large fireball - smell of burning hair is not appealing.

Be sure there is someone else with you. Preferably a qualified gas fitter otherwise you are headed for a Darwin award.

If you do get knocked unconscious by the blast and the gas remains unlit afterwards you could end up with a very big bang or asphyxiated.

Reply to
Martin Brown

One of the fusebox fuses supplies it. I'm not sure if you're allowed to remove a nozle, hopefully you already know.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd be more worried about getting a shock, but burns are a possibility. Just throw the local breaker / pull the fuse at the consumer unit.

Reply to
newshound