[OT] Time left on old passport when renewing

Time to renew a passport, so I just checked the website, and it appears that when applying for a new UK passport, the time left on the old passport is no longer added to the new one (couple of lines down on this page:

Is that really the case? Sounds like a nice little stealth price hike considering that most countries insist on some outstanding balance left on the passport you travel on.

Reply to
JoeJoe

It does look like it's the case.

Your post reminded me to check my passport. It goes out of date soon. God knows what delays will be caused by panic renewals.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Why should there be panic renewals?

Reply to
soup

Scott

It is indeed a Brexit stealth tax. Better get used to being ripped off.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Announced last September, IIRC ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Just found it - thanks.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Those escaping the UK before it sinks beneath the waves as the hysterics believe it will with a no deal brexit. Renewing so they don?t end up with an expired passport when out of the country waiting for the place they ran to to grant them citizenship years later.

Reply to
Jac Brown

It was changed because other countries wouldn't accept a passport's validity past 10 years.

This is something to bear in mind if you have a passport where the expiry date is > 10 years after the start date and quite a lot of people do as a result of renewals - most countries will treat its expiry date as start date + 10 years, and not what the expiry date says.

This will be particularly important if you use the passport to travel to the EU after we leave, as the EU has this rule for all passports from non-EU countries - expiry date is at most 10 years after the issue date. (Also, for entry to the EU and many other countries, your passport has to be valid for >= 6 months on entry and >= 3 months on intended leaving date.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks, that explains the process though perhaps not the logic.

Reply to
Scott

They have known there is going to be some sort of Brexit for two and a half years now, long time to continually panic.

Reply to
soup

They haven't been continually panicking, just making sure that they can get a passport before they think the shit will hit the fan with a no deal brexit in 3 weeks.

Reply to
Jac Brown

I renewed mine online about a month ago, and it took 8 days to come back. I think they emailed after just 2 days to say it was approved, and the rest of the time was printing and delivery.

I do wonder if they have two piles of blanks, EU ones for if we don't Brexit on 29th, and non-EU ones for if we do.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I renewed mine about the same time. I applied on a Thursday, posted supporting documents on the Friday, got acknowledgement on the Monday, and got the new one back the following Thursday. I was expecting it to take longer as I needed to send an additional document for checking [1] but it was very quick anyway.

Anyway, the EU don't actually care what colour they are...more Brexiteer lies!

[1] I wanted an Observation added to page 3, and needed proof.
Reply to
Bob Eager

As a member of the EU, you can use your passport to travel throughout the EU right up until it expires. Travellers from countries outside the EU have to have at least 6 months remaining on their passport when they arrive. On top of that if you renewed before your previous passport expired, up to 9 unused months could be carried over, but apparently this is not allowed for non-EU passports. Therefore if we exit, people who had another 6 to 15 months could find that they need to renew immediately to have a passport valid for travel in the EU. That is a lot of applications that would normally have been spread over 15 months, all needing renewal at the same time.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The colour change isn't until later in the year anyway - when the current contract runs out, and is nothing to do with leaving the EU as you say. However, the EU markings on the passport are, and will vanish the moment we leave.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm pretty sure this has been the case since the mid 90s, but since I have not had one since the 80s then I do not know. Another annoyance is that I need to get one now and it says fill out the first passport bit if you have lost the old out of date one, but when i rang their helpline they said make sure you say you had an old black one so we can check our records as if not you will have to come in to the central London Office for a personal interview. I mean what? I was born here! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Time to check your family tree for grandparents born abroad. An Irish forbear is the jackpot - you can maybe get an EU passport, but almost anything is going to be a plus as a fallback post brexit when we take back control and become a fully independent rogue state with nuclear missiles and aircraft carriers.

I am looking into a Guianese passport via an uncle by marriage. Was hoping to become Zimbabwean but the link is too remote.

TW

Reply to
TimW

I've just renewed mine. It took a little over a week. I went to a local photographer (instead of my usual nipping into a photo booth). It was well worth the extra four quid. They have a machine that uploaded it to a government checking system to make sure that it's visually compliant. Once checked (and then stored by them), you get a reference number that you can type in online, and you then don't need to send them another copy, although you still need to send the old passport (which you still get back, defaced). I was amazed that our administration could be so efficient :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Er.. why? I don't think French Guiana is part of the EU and Zimbabwe certainly isn't.

Reply to
Max Demian