Kinda OT- Getting Good Neighbors

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. :))

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming a landlord or reselling it.

Reply to
mike

Sounds like you have no where to go but up :-)

Reply to
jamesgangnc

What are your ideas?

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

Those would have been my suggestions. :)

The only other thing I can think of is if you know of people you like who are looking to buy, or relatives, etc, and letting them know.

Other than that, itsa crap shoot. Someone said it seems you can only go up, and I would say, PRAY that this is so.

One thing I might suggest is, if you haven't put a fence up already -- the tallest thickest effing fence your code will allow -- do so NOW, as this transition period is the "politically easiest" time. Man, am I kicking myself.....

Reply to
Existential Angst

A good buyer does not always a good neighbor make.

i'm not sure how you'd attract the kind of person you're looking for. It's generally a crapshoot. People can appear one way, then you get to know them and.... well, you know.

As another poster said, sounds like you're nearly guaranteed to improve on the current situation.

Now if I could just get *my* crappy neighbor to sell...

jc

Reply to
Joe

Hate to tell you about an old neighbor's theory but the house begets the owner, i.e. crappy neighbor now, another crappy neighbor later. From what I have seen with my limited experience, he is right.

Reply to
Frank

I hear ya on the fence. It's in need of refurbishment.

Reply to
mike

Word of mouth with people I know are decent people (and no criminal record, like the current neighbor). I was thinking of bribes and offers to do fix-ups pro-bono.

Reply to
mike

Abraham Lincoln's father supposedly said, "when you can see the smoke from your neighbor's chimney, its time to move."

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

My sister always makes a point of hanging around when prospective buyers come to view a neighboring property, so she can size them up. If they make a good impression on her, she introduces herself and chats with them a while, telling them about the neighborhood and its advantages. She's had buyers tell her afterwards how much they appreciated having a friendly neighbor fill them in on what the neighborhood was like, since a good neighborhood is as important as a good house.

If she thinks she wouldn't want them as neighbors, she tries to gently discourage them with a few not-quite-true stories. She might claim the street gets a lot of traffic and the problem with woods out back is that it's a teen haven for drinking and drugging. If she thinks they're troublemakers, she'll off-handedly mention a cop lives down the street, and everybody tries not to do anything to annoy him.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

On Mar 31, 11:19=A0am, Hell Toupee wrote: out back is

That's pretty funny... and probably effective!

Reply to
mike

Tell your friends about the place and ask them to tell their friends ...people whom you regard well should have like-minded acquaintances.

Reply to
norminn

Yeah, maybe I should carry fliers on me at all times to hand out.

Reply to
mike

Be doing whatever you want the buyer to tolerate when they show the house.

Reply to
gfretwell

I just want them to be regular people without a criminal record. To give you an idea of the seller, they have a rap sheet so long, the stack of paper is almost as big as the ObamaCare bill.

Reply to
mike

Why don't they just inflate the tires, hook it up to their pick-em-up truck, and take it with them?

Reply to
Lou

Clever. Very well done.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you sure they were the crappy neighbors and not you...JUST KIDDING..LOL...In this market and as tight as credit is only those with VERY good credit will be getting a loan to buy which should help...If it is like it is around here they will be lucky if it does sell..If it was a foreclosure then all bets are off..It will be sold at auction to a house flipper...Unlike a couple of years ago when they were throwing money at everyone including those who had no business owning a home...HTH...

Reply to
benick

No, it doesn't look like a foreclosure to me. That's what happened last time & the place was vacant for an extended period (which is better than bad neighbors). I definitely want the place to sell as soon as possible just so they don't change their mind. The wife will not be happy if the current neighbors hang around.

Reply to
mike

No, it doesn't look like a foreclosure to me. That's what happened last time & the place was vacant for an extended period (which is better than bad neighbors). I definitely want the place to sell as soon as possible just so they don't change their mind. The wife will not be happy if the current neighbors hang around.

Not much is selling around here , of course YMMV...Good luck...

Reply to
benick