OT Thunderbird & Eternal september help sought

I have an account with ES and have my username and password to hand.
For various reasons I want to change my newsreader and Thunderbird seems an oft suggested reader.
I have installed version 52.9.1(32 bit) being the latest version that still supports XP.
I have entered the requested data for ES server name etc and it has auto selected port 119 and everything about the set up looks about the same as with my previous newsreader (Seamonkey)
At no stage has it asked for username and password. Is this right??
When I try to subscribe to groups, the window does not load up with all the ES supported groups and hitting Refresh does not do anything either.
All I can see is a few ES related groups which suggests that it has connected to ES to get those.
Please can someone point me in the direction to get the the rest of the NG heirarchy.
TIA
Bob
On 12/01/2019 17:33, Bob Minchin wrote:

You do need to sign in, and TB is obscure about doing it. Try tools ... options ... security ... passwords.
It took me 5 minutes to find that, and I've set up ES previously.
HTH
GB wrote:

Hi GB That all sounded so promising but .....
In my version there is no "option" under tools but the menu view has an "options" section and a security tab but that just leads to harvesting passwords for sites you visit (seems like it thinks it is a browser?) Not an option to enter passwords. There are no "add" or "new" buttons
The help section does not seem to either.
Are you on ver 52?
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

Hopefully not that's unsupported, v64.4.0 is latest.
On 12/01/2019 18:27, Bob Minchin wrote:

Ah, that seems to be your problem then. :)
This is a 32 bit windows PC and I'm on version 60.4

On 13/01/2019 12:20, GB wrote:

four tabs, one of which is passwords, but it is not the screen that shows initially when you select security. You need to select it.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 17:33:12 +0000, Bob Minchin

I think that's the bit you can see without authentication Bob.
On my TB / XP (here) I've got:
My name in the name bit (as registered from memory)
Server name: news.eternal-september.org
Port 119 as you say.
Secure connection. (off)
Always request authentication when connecting to the server (on)
Mind you, this is TB V0.9. ;-)
A some point it asked me to supply my registered username and password which TB saved.
Cheers, T i m
On 12/01/2019 17:33, Bob Minchin wrote:

Have you checked the "Always request authentication when connecting to this server" box on the Server Settings tab for ES?
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Another Dave wrote:

Dave & Tim Thank you both. Requesting authentication is the magic spell that I needed Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

You need to tick the "force authentication" option.
On 12/01/2019 18:31, Andy Burns wrote:

Thanks Andy I'm now "in" and this reply is coming via TB/ES
Bob
On 12/01/2019 18:39, Bob Minchin wrote:

Might be worth adding a note on the end of the setup for TB section here:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Newsgroup_access_tips#Setup_2
(I expect the instructions as shown there only work for groups without a password)
--
Cheers,

John.