Weedkilling: is it okay to mix benzalkonium with glyphosate?

Moss is starting to show itself on my front path which is made of bricks. There's also stray grass and some small weeds.

We usually use BAC 50 (benzalkonium chloride) for moss and, when needed, glyphosate for weeds.

Is it okay to mix BAC and glyphosate together in the same sprayer?

Reply to
Pamela

In message <XnsA9D5A752CFA92F3QA2@81.171.118.178>, Pamela snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Don't know:-) You could do two separate sprays or maybe ask in TFF

Bit cold for glyphosate although my lawn looks fairly healthy.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Difficult to say. BA is a base, and glyphosate an acid. They are supplied as salts - BA as the chloride, and glyphosate as an isopropylammonium or trimethylsulfonium (ie both similar to benzalkonium) or sodium salt.

They might exist in solution together; they might not. The only incompatibilities for glyphosate here:

are diquat and paraquat (both bases)!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

On 18:33 12 Jan 2019, Jeff Layman snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote in news:q1dbt2$dhe$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Great chart. Thank you. Strange that BAC is rarely mentioned as a weedkiller because I'm sure I had plants die in the past from overspray.

I'm wary because the combination seems a good one, yet no one on Google mentions it.

It seems a chore to have to spray the same area twice. I would normally use them at different times of year, except this year is unusual for the late arrival of weeds.

Reply to
Pamela

Glyphosate works best when weeds are growing strongly. A this time of year, with low light levels and low temperatures, it still works but much more slowly, so be patient and don't think it hasn't worked because you mixed the two.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Or the fact that they never actually stopped growing in the first place, same goes for moss. Bah humbug. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

IME, glyphosate works on moss too, so you could use just that.

There are separate moss killers too, for where you don't want to destroy other vegitation, but when you do, might as well just use glyphosate.

Or use something like Pathclear, which is glyphosate to kill what's there, plus a germination inhibitor to prevent new growth.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel