OT: The North Sea Link.

I see the power interconnector cable linking us to Norway is now up & running. That's good news.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In message <sjcir2$1pcl$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Chris Bacon snipped-for-privacy@maildrop.cc writes

I see we are going to supply them when we have excess wind power and it stops raining in Norway:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

LOL!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Believe it or not, Norway does occasionally experience low rainfall and consequent concerns about its hydroelectricity supply.

But not often!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Currently 700MW, rising to the full 1400MW over the next three months.

Meanwhile the French interconnector is down 1000MW until the end of March at the earliest.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

What is the capacity of a link like that? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Eventually, 1400 megawatts, but running at half that for three months in the early stages. Should be up to full power in the New Year.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

currently 700 MW but slowly being increased to 1.4 GW over the next 3 months, and is actually a higher rating that the one that was kncoked out by fire bwteeen us and France.

S.

Reply to
SH

Enough hydro-power to supply 1.4 million homes, according to the National Grid.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Its actually a bi-directional link so that:

When UK wind is too low, Norway will send us hydroelectric power....

When UK wind is too high and supply exceeds UK demand, the excess will be sent to Norway so they can reduce the supply elsewhere.

Reply to
SH

Yup. ;)

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Aren't they all?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think so, and sometimes we do export to France, but our net take from there is very large. I am pretty sure that there is only one (reversible) rectifier/inverter unit at each end.

Reply to
newshound

I dont think that's correct. A quick stab at gridwatch shows that 10,000 5 minute periods have shown more than 2GW export to France

I will admit that the new french interconnector has never been used for export, to date.

However: "IFA2 would be a high voltage direct current (HVDC) electricity interconnector with an approximate capacity of 1 gigawatt (GW) which would allow the transfer of electrical power between the UK and France via subsea cables. The interconnector would be bi-directional allowing the import and export of electricity between the UK and France"

cost is in the cable, not the inverters. It would see fairly dumb not to make it bidirectional

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does that ever happen ?

More likely to go that way if Norway is in drought etc.

Reply to
John Brown

Yes.

Often wind farms are paid to shut down depending where the link lands, it might be possible to shunt it across the N Sea.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bow to the expert, especially since he has the data!

I am obviously out of date; in the earlier days there was certainly some bidirectional traffic associated with the time difference of the peaks, but I believe in the old days it was far more in than out.

Reply to
newshound

Oh it has always been more in than out, but that doesn't mean it cant and hasn't been used in 'full out' mode

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <bPf* snipped-for-privacy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 20:54:21 on Sun,

3 Oct 2021, Theo <theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:

You forgot to say which year:

Roland Perry

How sad. France has lost half of its UK electricity export market.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher