norway evergreen tree

I have a couple of those Norway pine or spruce trees that are indoor plants. They're pretty new to me, but quite large. I think I've got the lighting conditions correct for them, but their needles are curling and drop off easily. Would you say that's too much water or not enough? Thanks Michelle

Reply to
Michelle

I think perhaps (I hope, at least) you really mean something other than a pine or spruce-- either of which would very quickly perish indoors.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

If the needles feel sharp when you grab a branch it is a Norway Spruce. Norway spruce is an outdoor plant. Usually too much water is the biggest problem. Also, being indoor with heat and not natural sunlight is a serious problem for them. It should be hardened off in an unheated garage and then slowly aclimated to the outdoors if you are in a cold climate. It could be that it was in bad condition when you bought it.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

I believe she means a Norfolk Island pine (Araucaria heterophylla), which is a pretty common houseplant in many areas of this country. Unfortunately both too much AND not enough water can cause the needles to curl and fall. In winter, water only when the soil is completely dry to the touch and don't allow the pot to stand in water.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Thanks, that's the name - Norfolk Island Pine. It's definitely a house plant. I assure you I'm not killing an outside tree. So, I'll try a little less water and see what happens. Thanks Michelle

Reply to
Michelle

Araucaria heterophylla (Norfold Island Pine). Requires high light (turn plant frequently). Prefers cool temperature, but tolerates 65 to 70 degree temperatures. It will not tolerate freezing temperatures. Do not remove terminal tip. Be wary of an invasion of mites. Never use Sevin, it make mite infestations worse.

Norfolk Island Pine is a subtropic tree that grows 100 ft. tall in the wild near Australia. It is somewhat resistant to dry conditions after it gets established. It it frequently grown in pots and can be kept Christmas tree size in pots. It is best to keep in a cool place near outside windows and on the dry side.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

And in a few years the branches will start to droop like those pictured on old fashioned christmas cards. It will get absolutely beautiful if you keep it pruned to a single trunk and a pot no bigger than 16 inches.

zhan

Reply to
zhanataya

Fact, the #1 killer of indoor plants is over watering. Don't water more than once a week. Also use a good draining potting media.

Reply to
barrett