BP North Sea gas field.

Just been on the news that BP are having to put on hold expanding gas production from a North Sea oil field. Seems it needs permission from the US to do this.
Thought we had voted to 'take back control' from the EU. And open up new markets with countries outside the EU - the US being one of the largest.
But they already apparently have control over our natural resources. I assume we'll see Farage and Rees Mogg on TV shortly denouncing the US?
--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

On Tue, 22 May 2018 14:22:29 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/bp-north-sea-gas-trump- iran-nuclear-deal-latest-sanctions-a8362806.html
QUOTE BP has had to stop work on one of its North Sea gas fields due to the reintroduction of US sanctions on Iran in the wake of Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw the US from the Iran nuclear deal.
BP owns 50 per cent of the Rhum gas field, while the Iranian Oil Company holds the other half. The company said: "BP has decided to defer some planned work on the Rhum gas field in the North Sea while we seek clarity on the potential impact on the field of recent US government decisions regarding Iran; Rhum is co-owned by an Iranian company. BP always complies with applicable sanctions." ENDQUOTE
Was it BP or Shell that was done for sanction busting in the 70s ?
On 14:22 22 May 2018, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Luckily we're still a member of the EU and they're pushing back against the US sanctions.
I wonder how much clout America the UK would have with had post-Brexit and had only on the "special relationship" to rely on.

None. Liam Fox has already been handed his arse.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 69th day of Discord in the YOLD 3184

It's easy to work it out... 1/5th of the clout we currently have.
In the WTO, we move from top tier to second tier. As a second tier, it's much harder to stike trade deals, because the effort involved by everyone else is usually not regarded as worth the benfits of a trade deal when you are such a small part of the world's GDP, and they are concentrating all their efforts on trade deals in the top tier, with much larger benefits.
--
Andrew Gabriel
writes:

Bullshit. All of Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc etc etc manage fine.
In fact is much harder for the EU to do that because all 27 countrys have a veto on every detail.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.
On 19:59 22 May 2018, Rod Speed wrote:

Canada, Australia and New Zealand belong to regional trade agreements. Australia is a member of 10 free trade areas.
The UK is now leaving the one it belonged to. Oh dear.
writes:

They also have other trade agreements with individual countrys.

And is free to join any FTA that it prefers the detail of.
And will be free to have any bilateral trade agreements it likes too.
On 23/05/2018 03:51, Rod Speed wrote:

If they want the UK and the conditions are acceptable.

Brexiteers don't understand that. Living in the 'Britain rules the waves' days. They think we can demand and get any terms we want.
You'd have thought even they would have learned a few things in the recent negotiations over leaving the EU, but obviously not.
--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Yep Cameron, a remainer, also thought that and the EU told him to fuck off

Or even from the negotiations for staying in the EU
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

The problem of who we call trading partners can change in a moment if the rest of the world boycotts them. I'm talking Iran here of course. Brian

On 03:20 27 May 2018, Brian Gaff wrote:

It's a good job we're part of a large mutual interest trade block like the EU which might be able to resist some of these pressures using joint action.
On Sun, 27 May 2018 14:01:53 +0100, pamela wrote:

Thankfully for not much longer.
writes:

Duh.
On 22/05/2018 16:01, pamela wrote:

Its unlikely that the US will act against any EU country. They will target the part of the business of a multi-national company operating in the USA.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 20:27 22 May 2018, alan_m wrote:

That is a measure of the success of the EU. In the past the individual countries with no common purpose or support agreement would have been easy meat for US bullying.

Yes, that's the way.

How odd that Britain wasn’t prior to joining the EEC.

Not in this case. The problem here is that that gas field involves an Iranian operation as well as BP.

They are expected to act against any US company that helps break sanctions. Almost all oil filed support companies are US owned.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On 10:33 23 May 2018, Martin wrote:

The EU is better known compromise but this time it may be more willing to get into a fight with Trump because giving in opens up similar demands in future.