OT:The Boeing 737 Max and its *optional safety features*

Well no. As an anti stall it was OK. Used both sensors, had limited control.

It was its adaptation to a cheap way of avoiding re-training on a rather hurried and bodged development that led to the problems.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No doubt you can back up this claim with some *evidence* ?

ABS normally fails by reverting to ordinary braking where the wheels will skid - which is no worse than being in a car that lacks ABS. Bit of a surprise for the driver who stamps on the brakes expecting ABS though.

Hydraulic failure will stop all brakes working ABS or not.

Reply to
Martin Brown

On the odd occasion that the ABS system has come into action (stopping on a wet, muddy and slippery grass verge outside my late mother's bungalow), the brakes have pulsed rapidly. You can feel it through the brake pedal and hear it - a loud brrrr. It's the mechanical equivalent of pulsing the brake pedal with your foot if you get into a skid, which was advice widely given before ABS systems came along.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks for posting that link. The link to the actual pulse website which features that blog, is knocked back by both Opera 11 and Opera 36 for some reason.

So to sum up.

2) While there were two different Angle-of-Attack (AOA) Sensors which could have activated the MCAS and so dropped the nose only one was actually ever used. 4) Rather than the readings from the two sensors being reconciled in power up testing, presumably this was the "optional extra" (which possibly applied to other sensors) being offered at a price by Boeing but which is now free. 6) " the active LionAir sensor was off by 20-degrees while the plane was still taxiing yet such result was not actively used in MCAS system deactivation " 7) " When flight data recorders yield soon-to-be-dead pilots thumbing through operating manuals to determine what's going on, it's clear the 737 MAX pilots were not informed of MCAS system activation whose AOA sensor failure plunged them to the surface."

IOW presumably MCAS was supposed to be a transparent fix which unknown to the pilots corrected the AOA in small increments without their knowledge

Presumably these two flights were the only ones involving planes with a faulty sensor; whereas on other flight MCAS operated as intended.

Nevertheless, in this day and age its a bit surprising there's no mediated confidential online community of Boeing pilots who are prepared to share their knowledge and experience of flying these particular planes.

Let's just hope it's not because they're too afraid of losing their jobs.

michael adams

michael adams

That?s because it was stupidly listed as no flight critical.

It was so dedicated to preventing

Yeah, completely f***ed by design.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Not anymore. They all have dual hydraulic brake systems now.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Its known that the Lion Air plane had the same problem on the flight before the one that crashed and a pilot flying as a passenger in the cockpit did work out how to use the trim disable switches so the plane could be flown normally and it obviously didn?t crash.

There have also been some american flights where the pilots did recover gracefully from a failed AA sensor too.

They basically believe that it makes a lot more sense to leave it to the official report which has access to all the information.

Tho there have been a few crashes where the pros don?t believe the official report.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Mine just passed its MOT and doesn't show any brake warning light.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I read various reports about the results a couple of years ago. If you google ABS dangerous you'll find examples.

those aren't the type of failures I'm talking about. I mean single channel ABS that unbrakes all wheels when one loses traction. And there are also dangerous modes of action with the better multichannel ABS.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I once encountered a dual circuit brake car whih had 100% brake failure due to a leak on the rear circuit. Dual circuits come in more than one implementation, but none of the variants eliminate the possibility of complete brake failure. They just improve the odds.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mostly deranged cranks who don't understand what they are talking about or expect to take corners at 25mph in ice and snow and are surprised that ABS cannot work miracles. Newton's laws still apply even with ABS.

If you can find a genuine ABS brake failure caused by a failure of the ABS system as opposed to a failure of a driver to understand what it can and cannot do then I might take you seriously.

It only does that to keep the wheels from locking up. Except in powder snow and other exceptional conditions it is the optimum strategy for shortest possible stopping distance. Like manual cadence braking.

Reply to
Martin Brown

So? Does it have ABS or anything useful like that? If not it won't have or need a warning light, if it does give me the details and I will appeal against your pass and you can get it fixed.

Reply to
dennis

In article <w7adnaOq7L02_D_BnZ2dnUU78Y snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, michael adams snipped-for-privacy@ukonline.co.uk> scribeth thus

Interesting stuff here..

tony sayer

+1

This is one of the more interesting recent summaries :

It didn't last long - they soon had to delay it after reviews:

The very latest news is in - preliminary report from Ethiopia. The black box shows that the poor unfortunate Ethiopian pilots followed Boeing's recommended MCAS failure recovery procedure and it *didn't* work.

and

The manual override SOP on the face of it would appear to be too slow when the planes automatic "safety" systems have decided to crash it shortly after takeoff. There is just not enough time or space.

After the first minute MCAS will already have the jackscrew wrapped round its endstop. It is a long way back using the manual trim wheels.

Reply to
Martin Brown

whoosh.

If you understand that one side on ice, one side on tarmac results, with single channel ABS systems, in close to 100% brake failure, and are able to go read about that for yourself then I might take you more seriously.

whoosh. Seriously.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I rest my case.

If you can find a genuine ABS brake failure caused by a failure of the

Single channel ABS systems are only fitted to the cheapest and nastiest US pickup trucks. Most civilised countries use a per wheel ABS system.

ROFL. ABS will beat all but the most experienced drivers braking under the vast majority of road conditions.

You are inventing a problem based on a few reports from dodgy US pickup trucks with a lousy ABS implementation.

Reply to
Martin Brown

But you don?t have to use the manual trim wheels, you can use the trim switch on the yoke.

Reply to
Jac Brown

when it works well yes. when it works badly it's dangerous.

That is far from the only situation where it is fitted. You could always find out. There's no point spending further time here.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I did google. I didn't find any. No doubt you can post us some links.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've had this experience.

We had some equipment installed in a company owned car, not mine, and I was checking the figures on a stop from speed.

I naturally expected ABS. It must have taken me a good second to realise it wasn't fitted and back off... can't have done the tyres any good.

Now if a manufacturer _did_ install ABS that stopped all the brakes working - they'd be culpable. And I think we'd have heard.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris