OT The apprentice now has a new healthier lifestyle

Or so he claims. He told me that he has quit smoking, joined a gym and no longer eats crap food.

Well he might have joined a gym but he has not actually been yet because he is to tired to go after work and the last two weekends were spend on all day drinking sessions that lasted 12 hours every day [1].

As for the crap food. Less than 10 minutes after telling me what a healthy lifestyle he now lives we stopped for dinner.

He bought a Dairylea Lunchable, a packet of Quavers, a Mars bar and a can of Red Bull [2].

[1] Christ knows what he was drinking on these all day benders but when I worked away with him he tried to match me pint for pint one evening and he was throwing up on the pavement after 5 pints and was too ill to work the next morning. [2] I bought a large bacon and egg sandwich but I am not pretending to be living a healthy lifestyle.
Reply to
ARW

In message , ARW writes

You can only be young once!

Mind, I could only manage 2 pints of an evening and that was before breathalyser legislation:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , ARW writes

Having done a fair bit of manual labour over the last few days I can say that a fair few calories are needed to keep you going, and despite the fat, the carbs and protein in your sarnie were prob exactly what was required.

Lads just don't understand what is in 'food' these days and that fat, sugar and caffeine does not make for a happy body.

I noticed in the recent Commando School proggy that all were scoffing huge cooked breakfasts but it didn't matter as they were burning it all in the course of the day. Yes, a fair bit of fat (gone in a slow burn) but plenty of carbs & protein.

As for joining a gym, I got my the way I am by growing up doing things, not going to a gym using a bunch of machines that fake doing the things I wanted to do anyway. Oi do larf at gym bunnies that can't lift a bag of cement cos they didn't work the muscle set required for that particular task.

Reply to
fred

In article , Tim Lamb writes

A cheap date :-)

Reply to
fred

On 06/09/2014 17:31, Tim Lamb wrote: ...

Lightweight. At university, six to eight of us would go out drinking together and, of course, everybody had to buy a round.

Reply to
Nightjar

In article ,

Reply to
Tim Streater

My daughter can pick up a bag of cement, in one hand/arm. She is a size 12 so its not exactly a difficult task.

I have seen her moving a tonne of paper on a hand truck before now.

I used to be able to carry two bags, but that's probably what gave me the hernia so I let someone else carry the stuff these days.

Reply to
dennis

Too true!

before

drinking

Rounds work well if you have a reasonably stable group of people. Those with short arms and deep pockets soon get "noticed"...

As for a gallon/night that used to be the norm on top of a three pint lunch, food, packet of nuts (shared). Working as well! Hardly happens at all these days, three or four over a whole evening if staying away.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

do you mean a modern bag? or a proper 1 cwt one?

Reply to
charles

Friday night ten bob whip round. I got my share by drinking Mackeson and cider when everyone else was on mild.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

is he five years old?

I won't criticise the Quavers and Mars as I'm quite partial to both occasionally (not usually on the same occasion, cheesey Mars is not a winning combo)

If the bacon was grilled, the bread wholemeal, and you'd put a tomato in it, it would have been fairly healthy.

A large mug of tea with all those lovely antioxidants would beat an energy drink too.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Nowadays I usually have 2 pints - sometimes 3 if I'm going well (FSVO). In the '70s we went to a pub in The Dales, 10 of us in the group, round each, I had 10 pints of Old Peculier (it was about 5% then - t'ain't now). Also had 4 pints of Guiness and a pint of Amontillado sherry - in one swig - one evening. Ah, those were the days, Huey.

Reply to
PeterC

Well there's proper and then there's proper;) I ascribe my knees (3rd class, buggered) in part to the 6th form holiday job which inter alia involved unloading one-and-a-half cwt sacks of salt from flat-bed lorries. And then lifting the same sacks to tip the salt.

Reply to
Robin

I could never manage 10 pints of Theakston's funny stuff. But I do recall drinking in The Dales in the early 70s. If you drank with a local (as we did) then the local Bobby was always very helpful at New Year's as you left the pub, making sure your Landrover or other vehicle was pointed in the right direction :)

Reply to
Robin

Which, incidently, is also the name of a mutant strain of Fruitfly which more readily succumbs to the intoxicating effect of methanol vapour than other strains (along with the 'Maggie' - arrested development).

Reply to
Johny B Good

QI watcher?

Reply to
soup

In article , Robin scribeth thus

I remember having a few of them and ended up having very weird nightmares and other hallucinations;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

How would the addition of a tomato make it healthy? There is no such thing as a healthy food.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is she able to carry 6 drums of 100m 16mm T&E up a couple of flights of stairs?

Not 6 drums at the same time:-) Just lifting one the drums off the floor is not easy.

Reply to
ARW

She would just smile and you would do it.

Reply to
dennis