Testing TV aerial sockets

Is it possible to tell if aerial sockets are working without connecting a TV?
mark
Yes use one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/p/slx-digital-signal-finder/58244
Richard

Thank you
mark
But of course the only way to know if all the stations work is to use a tv. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"mark" < snipped-for-privacy@reepham2003.force.co.uk> wrote in message
On 07/09/14 08:18, Brian Gaff wrote:

...although that need be no more than a laptop and a TV tuner USB dongle.

Thats's over 100 channels of shiteview to check.
--
Adam

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 09:25:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Yes, quite! You saved me having to suggest it. I've merely butted in to endorse your very sound advice. :-)
--
J B Good

Do those things really work? Just had a look at eBay, and there are loads of 'em for less than a tenner, including postage. Seems to be the USB dongle itself, an aerial, a CD and remote control.
What is on the CD? Will that little aerial really work if you happen to live more than about twenty feet from a transmitter? Anyone any experience?
--
Graeme

Yep, mate of mine decided to try one after not bothering with a TV for years, planning to head back to China soon, and it worked fine.

Yeah, so cheap they are certainly worth a try.

Just the app to let you select the channel etc.
You don't have to use that, you can use Windows Media Center etc if you have that. That isnt included in Win 8 anymore tho.

Yep, worked fine for him and he was 20 miles from the transmitter.

Yep.
On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 18:28:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

use a

Naw, just 16 TV channels here once you take out the +1's and HD versions and 11 (BBC only) radio stations.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes - have a couple. Which only cost a few quid.

The aerial certainly didn't work well here - and I'm pretty close to the transmitter. So I hacked it off and fitted a coax plug. And then an extension to an outside aerial socket - I have one in every room. Then worked just fine.
--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Thank you, Rod and Dave.
--
Graeme

Well, I took the plunge, and ordered a dongle and an amplifier, again USB powered.
Setup was simple but, using the supplied aerials (one came with the dongle and another with the amplifier) the software could not find any stations.
However, when connected to an ordinary roof aerial all works fine. Have not yet tried the roof aerial without the amplifier.
--
Graeme