OT Television Production

A couple of things intrugue me about TV production:

  1. How are the backgrounds and floor effects done on shows like Dancing on Ice and Who wants to be a Millionaire. If projected, why don't the presenters get in the way?

  1. When cutting from one scene (in a drama) do they often cut to the new sound - ahead of the picture? I suppose it is for some artistic reason - but I can't appreciate it.

Incidentally - If you never watch TV, There is no need to tell us.

Reply to
JohnP

The reason some people do not watch TV are because of programmes such as Dancing on Ice and Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Reply to
ARW

I never watch TV...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

and punters dressed up as god knows what singing.....with a panel of fat baby .. covid party wummin...etc

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

I never read Usenet posts.

Reply to
Chris Green

Although I don't watch either and therefore don't know what they are showing, try Googling "Green Screen" or "Chroma Key".

Reply to
Steve Walker

... then go and watch the America's cup on YouTube. They lay down start lines on water in post production. Things are changing.

Andy (who doesn't watch DoI either)

Reply to
Vir Campestris

'Lead sound' on a scene change is a very old technique. Dates back to the early days of sound movies. It's one of those things that if it is so obvious, badly done. Same as hand held shots.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

On Millionaire, it's all real stuff. The floor is transparent with lights below it. The rest is movable spotlights. The backgrounds are all real.

I know. I was on it.

The amusing part is the pedestal in the middle. Not there during Fastest Finger First. When that finishes, Tarrant takes the winning candidate by the arm and starts to walk them to the centre. Then they stop the recording and send them off for extra makeup. Then they wheel the pedestal in, and someone crawls under the floor to plug it in. When the contestant returns, they set up the same pose by using a freeze frame of their previous position as a reference. The 'flash' arrival of the pedestal is hidden behind a bit of balcony.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm playing with chromakey for my jitsi backgrounds!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or that they cannot see them any more? I'd have thought most effects these days were green screen creations, it was mainly blue when I was younger, but they now seem to use Green, does this mean that nobody can wear the colour of the background? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

In many cases they do not actually cut just use a fast fade from what I've heard. quite why they do it that way is probably due to the built in default effect and to help remind anyone who is involved in the show that the shot is going to change. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Because it's projected from above from more than one source.

It takes a lot of lining up and adjustment BTW !

Reply to
Mark Carver

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:rvqnh8$40k$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thnaks Brian. The way the view angle and perspective changes on the background relative to the camera position intigues me.

Reply to
JohnP

Bob Eager snipped-for-privacy@eager.cx wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Many thanks.

Reply to
JohnP

unless they want to be invisible. That particular blue was originally picked because it doesn't exist in the human body, but when making a religious programme with Mary, mother of Christ,they had to find another colour, becasue Mary is traditionally in a blue dress.

Last Christmas, wearing my Christmas jumper, I was on a Zoom meeting using a green screen and the christams trees on my jumper twinkled as I moved since they were green. ;-)

Reply to
charles

From my days in Television Centre which finished nearly 50 years ago, the standard command from the Presention Editor was "lead sound and ... CUT"

Reply to
charles

I assume it is CGI these days. At one time, you could sometimes see faint images on the performers, if you looked closely.

It makes the transition less abrupt, rather like a fade effect, but using sound rather than vision.

Reply to
nightjar

Some of it is Artificial Reality (which is in effect real time CGI) but also quite a bit is 'real' projection.

Strictly Come Dancing this year used both (along with rendered images on vertical screens)

A lot of the projection effects are used (or rather were used !) in theatres. There's probably a surplus of both kit, and skilled people that the TV companies are mopping up at present from their usual work.

Reply to
Mark Carver

It's a video/film editing technique called a "J cut". See here:

Caecilius