Suggestions for production plywood cutting required.

Hello All,

I'm costing putting together a company to manufacture house panels and am looking for tool suggestions for cutting plywood & particle board in various configurations in a production type atmosphere (ie. preferably automated). Any suggestions on where to start my research would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

BigD

Reply to
BigD

for one. Tom

Reply to
tom

Try Automation Devices in Mt. Belview, TX ( 281-383-3403 ) Lon builds custom machinery to customer specs and does an excellent job. Good luck. BTW - what part of the country are you planning to locate in?

Reply to
Tom

Depending on specic requirements you could look at shop-bot.

marks542004

| Hello All, | | I'm costing putting together a company to manufacture house panels | and am looking for tool suggestions for cutting plywood & particle | board in various configurations in a production type atmosphere | (ie. preferably automated). Any suggestions on where to start my | research would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you start by narrowing the problem:

[1] How big are the house panels and what materials in what sizes and shapes are you wanting to cut? [2] Do you want to automate just the cutting - or do you want assembly, too? [3] What is your panel per day/hour/minute/second target? [4] How much are you _willing_ to spend? :-)

It's fairly difficult to provide a meaningful answer without that information.

Morris Dovey

hey Mo- how much does a saw weigh?

Reply to
bridger

Thanks for the response.

I'm in the preliminaries of putting together the game plan but here's what I have:

[1] How big are the house panels and what materials in what sizes and

standard 4'x8' sheets

initially no until I can prove the market and am up and running and more experienced with which tools justify their cost

again - too early to tell

how long is a piece of string? I was looking at initial start-up of between $50k - $100k to include everything. I'd prefer something a little more labour intensive at the start and then upgrade at a later date.

My last business was a stainless shop and I made the mistake of following my ex-partner's suggestions on what tools to purchase, we bought all new equipment which most of we barely used or could have purchases on the used market for 25% .... but we still made very nice breweries. So am trying to get a feel for what is out there (prior to sticking my foot in my mouth) and what each level of automation costs/ production output.

Regards,

Darryl

Reply to
BigD

yeah yeah - how longs a piece of string?

Reply to
BigD

| Thanks for the response. | | I'm in the preliminaries of putting together the game plan but | here's what I have: | | [1] How big are the house panels and what materials in what sizes | and || shapes are you wanting to cut? | | standard 4'x8' sheets | || [2] Do you want to automate just the cutting - or do you want || assembly, too? | | initially no until I can prove the market and am up and | running and more experienced with which tools justify their cost | || [3] What is your panel per day/hour/minute/second target? | | again - too early to tell | || [4] How much are you _willing_ to spend? :-) | | how long is a piece of string? I was looking at initial | start-up of between $50k - $100k to include everything. I'd prefer | something a little more labour intensive at the start and then | upgrade at a later date. | | My last business was a stainless shop and I made the mistake of | following my ex-partner's suggestions on what tools to purchase, we | bought all new equipment which most of we barely used or could have | purchases on the used market for 25% .... but we still made very | nice breweries. So am trying to get a feel for what is out there | (prior to sticking my foot in my mouth) and what each level of | automation costs/ production output.

Darryl...

You might take a close look at used ShopBot CNC routers. I've seen 'em offered for as low as US$2K (once) and a number of times in the $6K ballpark. The PRT-96 standard machine can handle 4x8 sheet stock and can handle internal cut-outs.

Having taken that close look, it might pay you to lurk at the CNCZone forum and learn how to build your own machine - it's not as difficult as you'd probably imagine. I think you could probably design and build a combination saw/router CNC machine for an amount around $2500 if you shop carefully. OTS motor controllers make it relatively easy to use inexpensive control software (I'm not sure if there's freeware available; but it'd be worth looking for.)

Typically, you'd create a DXF (drawing) file and feed that (or a converted version of that) to your control software, which would then control the cutting to produce what you'd drawn. No magic required; and relatively little cash needed.

Morris Dovey