Production Pocket Cutter question

I have been looking at used Porter-Cable pocket cutter 550 - not the new 552. I have never seen a 550 being used and can't find much info on it out there.

Does anyone know if it also drills the pilot hole in the perpindicular side or does that have to be done manually. Also, is there a design flaw in it or why did they only make it for a year. I just want to see if it worth the 200 investment and is the 699 new 552 that much better.

thanks

Reply to
Aaron Wood

It appeared in one episode of The New Yankee Workshop (9904). If you can find a copy or buy the video

you'll see Norm using it.

Manually (with a drill), from the other side.

The only thing I know about it is from the one episode of NYW that it appeared in. My guess is that sales were sluggish. The same thing happed with the MorTen mortise and tenoning jig they made.

If you need the production aspects of pocket joinery, I would recommend the 552. However, if you are an occasional or even moderate user of pocket holes, I think a Kreg jig will do what you need at significantly less investment.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod