OT: Swansea Tidal Lagoon rejected

(a) If you store water at the high tide level in a reservior, you can use ithat water for power at any time except high tide, but perhaps best between mid and low tide.

(b) If you empty a reserviour at low tide, you can fill it at any time to generate power - i.e. fill it from either (i) a full(er) reservior, or (ii) the sea when not at or near low tide (but perhaps best between mid and high tide).

This means with sufficient reserviour capacities, you should be able to generate power continuously.

#Paul

Reply to
news17k

A when are the gates opened and closed? At what point on the cycle is the power produced?

Reply to
alan_m

But we would have the advantage of having to join the Euro and losing our rebate and may have to pay more to ensure we aren't vetoed by Turkey if they join before us.

But even then its probably worth it.

How do you start a petition to rejoin the EU as soon as brexit has finished?

Reply to
dennis

In article , Chris Hogg writes

+1
Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Not yet, but they're working on it.

Reply to
bert

If you waited until high tide, there would be no flow since the water inside |& ouside will be the same.

Reply to
charles

So its three times the cost not what they have quoted.

Its three times the cost in maintenance not what they said.

Its three times the environmental damage too.

Its also three times less reliable.

Reply to
dennis

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

It was you who suggested that.

"Far better to pay some other country to build our nuclear power stations, than develop a new technology here."

So have you become a Brexiteer, or are you still just another desperate remoaner

Reply to
bert

NATO has absolutely nothing to do with the EU; currently both the USA & Canada are mmebers.

Reply to
charles

The opening and closing is, however, defined by the state of thentide.

Reply to
charles

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mdfs.net writes

So effectively one for the price of three.

Reply to
bert

Anyway you are thinking too small, all we need to do is build a dam all around Scotland and use it for pumped storage to store the energy generated by damming the Irish Sea.

Reply to
dennis

What happens when the tide is the same height as the lagoon and you open a gate? How much power does it generate? How much does it generate when they are using the turbines as pumps to fill the lagoon so they can unleash it when rates are higher and they can make more cash?

Reply to
dennis

Bless!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But you do get nothing useful 4 times a day.

Reply to
Jeff

But there does have to be a decent head for there to be any useful flow and there isnt 4 times a day,

Reply to
Jeff

Would this be a hard border between Northern and Southern Ireland?

Reply to
alan_m

Are you suggesting walling Ireland and flooding it would be better than using Scotland?

Reply to
dennis

You might not need to ... once the reality hits home with all the racists and pub EU experts who voted leave.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

With such a flexible system, it must be widely used. I'm sure you can tell me where.

Reply to
Chris Hogg