OT: Strange computer monitor problem

What happens if the monitor's just plugged into a normal power lead and switched on? Does it come on immediately-ish or 10min later?

I idly wonder what the standby current of the monitor is, anyway...?

Reply to
Adrian

SWMBO's desktop computer uses a Samsung 17" flat screen monitor which is powered via a smart switch (extension lead where the sockets only turn on when the master socket is drawing power).

She's been complaining of late that when she turns her computer on each morning, although the innards are "worbling" (her term!) away, nothing appears on the monitor for a long time.

My first thoughts were that the smart switch was duff - but no. I checked this morning, and other things connected to it - speakers, etc.

- were on, and the monitor supply lead was definitely live. But the monitor's power light wasn't on, and the screen was blank.

*Then*, probably 10 minutes later, the thing sprang into life. This has apparently been happening every day for a while.

Anyone ever come across anything like this. I can only assume that some component or other in the (internal) power supply is on the blink and needs to "warm up" for a long time before it does anything. Any ideas?

Reply to
Roger Mills

The power saving socket is probebly a red hearing, you need to plug the monitor directly into the mains so there is no doubt.

Assuming it is the monitor itself that is faulty, then yes, it's a very common scenario with switch mode power supplies, typically caused by the failure of a small startup electrolytic capacitor with a value of about 10uF. Also replace any electrolytics with bulging tops.

Reply to
Graham.

Shine a flashlight "into" the monitor from the front when it should be showing something but isn't. If you see something, then the backlight should be on, but isn't.

Not perhaps the likeliest fault, but very easy to check.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Neat trick

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did try a different power lead connected directly into a wall socket this morning. The monitor certainly didn't come on immediately, but I didn't wait 10 minutes - I plugged its normal lead back in after checking that it was supplying 240 volts. I then went and had breakfast, and when I came back the monitor was on!

Probably not that much. Keeping it powered all the time *may* be an option.

Reply to
Roger Mills

+1 Especially given it's a Samsung. Might be worth doing a search using the model number on Badcaps or just Google it with the model number plus "bad caps" :)
Reply to
Lee

Yes, indeed (see my previous post). Still didn't come on when directly connected to a wall socket.

Sounds like a possibility. Could be a fun job taking it apart to find out!

Reply to
Roger Mills

If it was that, I'd still expect the monitor's power light to be on. It wasn't.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I saved a neighbours flatscreen monitor from the skip a while back and that was a(n internal) PSU fault.

When they go they tended to take a load of components with them so I got a new 'old stock' PSU cheap from China, replaced all the caps and it's now working fine again. ;-)

I've repaired several monitors for others and again it's either PSUs or on the older ones, inverters.

I wonder of the OP's relaying of the 'warbling' is PSU noise on the internal amp / speakers (if it has such)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No! That's referring to the HDD noises coming the computer itself while it is booting up - not from the monitor - but simply included to indicate that the computer was making its 'normal' noises, which you would expect to be accompanied by something displayed on the monitor.

Reply to
Roger Mills

En el artículo , Roger Mills escribió:

Electrolytic capacitors in the monitor's power supply have dried up or gone leaky and need replacing. It's very common, but Samsung monitors seem particularly prone to it. I've fixed dozens of them.

It's an easy fix for someone competent, not so easy for the first timer or DIYer. Beware the PSU in the monitor can retain lethal voltages for quite some time after switch-off.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes - not impressed with Samsung. My rather expensive smart TV died just out of warranty with a PS fault.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I also have a problem with mine. When switching on or waking up it displays a "screen full" message, and it is some time before it is usable. Try as I might I can find now information on this problem.

Reply to
Broadback

You're right, I missed that.

Perhaps feed it from a different source, i.e. the VGA autoput vs. HDMI. That would rule out bad cable or bad connection...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Sorry, re read your first post and see how it could mean the actual PC. ;-)

OOI, do you have a spare monitor to check if it's the video card being slow to provide output?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

'Fraid the monitor only has one input - VGA - so can't do that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes, I have got a spare monitor - and I fished it out of the attic earlier today, to try if necessary. [Wouldn't prove anything at the moment 'cos the 'offending' has been working fine since it eventually go going].

I would have thought that if the problem was lack of video output, the monitor's power light would be on, and the monitor would be complaining about having no signal. Neither was the case!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ok.

Yes, you are right, as long as there was a video signal of some sort. Not sure what the odds are of it being an all black signal because of a fault though? ;-)

No, I'm still going with the others and a PSU issue in the monitor.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, I had something like this on a TV monitor which is always on standby and yet it apparently ignored a perfectly valid input from a computer. The only way I could get it to work was to turn off the computer and then boot it again shortly afterwards. It seems as if the issue was that whatever the monitor was looking for in the input it only got after the pc had warmed up so the turning off and on did the trick. This was proved to me by using a different computer on the monitor, when it worked perfectly.

No idea what the actual issue was though. What type of lead are they connected together with? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff