OT: Smart TVs

So we can play this game. Get a few satellite to wifi access points, set them up in the village. Announce 'new village broadband initiative'. Wait until BT enable the cabinet, then just pick them up and move to the next village.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Take your pick. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Not sure if you've sorted this, but I have a fairly dumb 40" TV - Samsung UE40EH5000 - and it's fine, about £300 I think.

But really, if buying again, I'd wait for an end-of-line or offer of some kind. Likely as not you'll get 'smart' thrown in for less than the cost of a comparable basic TV.

Reply to
RJH

Would DRM (not the copy stuff) help?

Reply to
Windmill

Our analogue TV broadcasting engineering was astoundingly good really.

When you consider that most countries engineered their networks for one channel with a possibility of a second, while we insisted on designing it for two with a possibility of three, its quite a testament that it ultimately supported four with partial coverage of a fifth channel. Reverser engineering colour into B&W TV in such a way as to not break the existing setup was a work of genius. And NICAM 728 was a pretty impressive bit of engineering as well (which out performed most of the audio on modern DVB-T)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not sure one could really call USB a replacement for RS232... and while it might drive chipset sales, its not going to do much for CPUs.

Reply to
John Rumm

Mind you, the basic work on that was done in the USA.

Reply to
charles

Our colour system (with the swinging colour burst) worked so much better than theirs though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Recently my very ordinary FM/AM car radio stopped working. As my current journeys are short there isn't much incentive to replace it. However, because I can, I have been using my mobile and iPlayer Radio. The worst thing so far is my phone's tinny speaker. It has actually been operating very well. (Probably not a good idea if you have a severely bandwidth restricted package.)

Reply to
polygonum

Get one of those Bluetooth 'boombox' speakers...

Reply to
Bob Eager

NTSC stood for Never The Same Color, I believe ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

11 bit companded.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or Never Twice Same Colour being another option...

Reply to
John Rumm

IIRC they went with 10 in the transmitted stream...

32 k samples/sec with 14 bit samples per channel[1] (with presample filtering at the Nyquist threshold of 15kHz). Companded digitally after the ADC to 10 bits for transmission. Three control bits were used to indicate which bits of the original sample were discarded for transmission. (i.e. for quiet bits with MSBs all zero, you bin the high order bits, and for loud sections you lose the low order bits since they contain detail that is more likely to be inaudible) [1] and the sample quality is better than the sample size would normally suggest since it did not use "ordinary" PCM style samples, but an adaptive system with variable quantisation steps to increase the SNR for a given bandwidth.
Reply to
John Rumm

I have actually got a perfectly functional (albeit small and relatively cheap) bluetooth speaker I could use. Simply haven't got around to it...

Reply to
polygonum

Many has been the morning I have woken up in Wales (Cardiff and elsewhere) to the R4 ident announcing something like "1500 metres long wave and FM in parts of England". Mind, they might eventually have changed it - that was some years ago.

Reply to
polygonum