Sony Blink Codes - tv?

Hi everyone,

This morning my 5 year old Sony KV-28DX20U TV started playing up. The power light goes on, sound comes out but no picture. After a minute or so, a green tint appears over the screen and then the picture comes in, but with a green tint.

I believe the Sony's have a self-diagnostic feature, but can't find much about this.

The red power light comes on and blinks 5 times, then goes off for about 3 seconds, then blinks 5 times, etc.

Hopefully it's something relatively simple, as it's a great TV and I've never had any problems with Sony before. Anyone able to help / offer some clues on this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Dave Jennings

Its a long shot, but...

a combination of searches like "5 flash" and "blink" to find some possibly relevant codes / module failures

Reply to
Colin Wilson

5 can mean bad tube, especially going green also.
Reply to
Fray Bentos

In my experience, whatever is wrong with it, repairing it is almost certainly a waste of money.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Could also mean just dry joints on the gun connector.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

Bang the set hard. Its usally a semi short in the gun assembly. Also blow any dust out of the tube rear area.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sony tubes are expensive and tricky to replace.

Dry joint in gin area as suggested elsewhere aa deifinite piss-o-bolity.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Too many dry gins and joints?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Hi,

funny, a US site suggested this too. If it's something relatively simple I'd certainly have a look, as I know that should I call out the Sony engineer here it WILL require a new tube - and that's probably not worth putting in.

Like I said in the OP, I've never had a problem with Sony before, and I'm loathe to bin an otherwise terrific TV if it's fixable, especially if it's POSSIBLY a simple fix. The downside is I have no idea WTF the gun connector is!! However I'm fine with electronics ( my company manufacture ruggedished handheld PDA's here in Scotland ) so I'm sure it can't be rocket science, at least to have a look! ( Famous last words, or what? )

Reply to
Dave Jennings

the gun connector is the little board at the back of the tube, the one that can have a couple of kilovolts on it.

beware...

Reply to
Fray Bentos

Aharr.Now, daftie question, but is this something I should be wary of even when I've disconnected the TV from the mains or not? I'm guessing I don't lick it to see if I get some kind of kick. 8^ )

Reply to
Dave Jennings

Never a good mix. One or the other..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...for some minuets after the set is switched off possibly..

Yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Prodding at it with a neon screwdriver should show anything that is nasty, and should leak teh voltage away safely via a few meghomns and your body..or yoi could attach the 'cold' end of the screwdriver via a wire to an earth..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher