Should I be making a fuss?

The boiler I mentioned before has now been inspected. It's a rented place, and the problem is that the pilot gets cut off 2 or 3 times a day. Seems to be down to it continuing to heat after the taps get turned off until the safety cutout goes off.

The agent's preferred pluimber has been out a while ago and replaced the thermocouple (didn't sort it) then told them it needed replacing. Nothing happened (well, that costs money ;-))

He's just been round again doing the annual (quarterly? whatever) safety inspection and said he'd tell them again. He *didn't* say to stop using it.

My theory is that the stat that stops it heating when the small heat store inside it is hot enough is duff/intermittent.

Given that it now depends on the (old and overused) safety cutoff operating, what do you think I should do?

Wait till they get around to replacing it? Stop using it and make a fuss? Keep relighting it when we need it?

Reply to
PC Paul

Make sure the Landlord has been informed properly in writing that you are unhappy with the service you have received. Allow reasonable opportunity for them to fix it. Say 14 days max. Get in someone who has slightly better diagnostic skills that thermocouple replacement followed whole boiler exchange. Deduct bill for repair from rent and send Landlord the receipt.

Note: Failure to perform repairs is just about the only legal reason to withold rent.

Reply to
Ed Sirett