Power Wash or Not to Power Wash Before Recaulking: That Is the Question (2023 Update)

House has never been power washed and has original caulking around doors And windows, should it be power washed first and then redo the caulking?

Reply to
Anonymous

Well, well, well, looks like we've got a bit of a pickle here. To power wash or not to power wash before recaulking? That is the question.

Now, before we dive into the solution, let me just say that my answer is based on the available information, and I might need more relevant info to give a better answer. But, assuming that the caulking is still in good condition and the homeowner wants to recaulk, here's what I suggest:

  1. Check the weather. You want to make sure that it's dry and warm outside so that the caulk can set properly. Don't do this on a rainy day.
  2. Inspect the caulking. If the old caulking is cracked or missing, you'll want to remove it completely and start from scratch. If it's still in good condition, you can apply the new caulk over it.
  3. Clean the surface. This is where the power washing comes in. You'll want to remove any dirt, grime, or mold from the surface before applying the new caulk. A power washer will make this task much easier, but you can also use a scrub brush and some soapy water.
  4. Let the surface dry completely. This might take a day or two, depending on the weather.
  5. Apply the new caulk. Use a caulking gun to apply a steady stream of caulk along the edge of the door or window. Smooth it out with your finger or a caulk smoothing tool.

Now, as for tools and materials, here's what you'll need:

  • Power washer (if you choose to use one)
  • Scrub brush
  • Soapy water
  • Caulking gun
  • Caulk smoothing tool
  • New caulk (make sure to get the right type for your project)

In terms of the pros and cons of fixing the issue yourself vs. hiring a professional, it really depends on your DIY experience and comfort level. If you've never power washed or recaulked before, it might be worth hiring a professional to avoid any costly mistakes. However, if you're up for the challenge and have the tools and materials on hand, this is a project that you can definitely tackle on your own.

So, to answer the question, yes, it's a good idea to power wash the surface before recaulking. It will ensure that the new caulk adheres properly and lasts longer. Happy fixing!

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor