OT: Satellite broadband

Hi Folks,
I'm likely to be moving to an area where the standard broadband is likely to be quite slow, with no option currently for any fibre connection. I'm looking around at alternatives in case the broadband really is unworkable - there's no heavy gaming going on but the potential grief if the kids can't watch their banal Minecraft YouTube videos or SWMBO can't get on to Netflix could be bad.
Does anyone have experience of satellite broadband, I know it's relatively expensive but can it deliver speeds anything near what it claims? We're likely to have a standard Sky dish, would it work through this?
Any other options I should be thinking about?
Thanks.
On 04/05/2015 11:10, Endulini wrote:

Very expensive. Unreliable download speed. Upload speed poor. High latency. Useless for any online gaming.
On 04/05/2015 11:18, Bod wrote:

> > This link is an unbiased and objective site. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/satellite-broadband.html
On Mon, 04 May 2015 11:28:32 +0100, Bod wrote:

is

Have you been hood winked by the marketing? Outside of relatively small areas that Virgin Media do actual Fibre To The Premises (FTTP) nearly all so called "Superfast Fibre Broadband" is really Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC).
Wander across to the availability checker that ought to be found on the County Council/BDUK website for the area in question. If the copper line distance from the *cabinet* to the premises is < 1 km you should get superfast downloads, ie > 24 Mbps, rising to 76 Mbps if the line is less than 300 ish m.
The above should tell you which exchange you are likely to be connected to and where it is located. Feed that into Sam Knows https://www.samknows.com/ and see what ADSL services are available. ADSL runs from the exchange.
ADSL2+ (up to 24 Mbps) should give > 20 Mbps over about 1.5 km, > 10 Mps to just under 3 km.
ADSL2 (up to 8 Mbps) should give 8 Mbps to about 2.5 km, 2 Mbps to about 4.5 km.
2 Mbps is the minimum "universal access" speed that *everyone* should be able to get and is just about enough for SD Youtube/iPlayer.

it

Speed depends how many arms and legs you want to cut off. B-)

No almost certainly a different satellite and the signal is much weaker than the TV ones. Larger dish, maybe 24" dia, pointing different way.

3G or 4G mobile? More arms and legs...

Looking at the link below the rentals are reasonable. But you don't get much download allowance at the cheap end.

Compared to what? The speeds I see on the link below knock spots of my ADSL2 (ADSL2+ in not available) of 5 Mbps down 0.5 Mbps up.

Yes, the latency is bad.

http://www.briskona.com/satellite-packages.html
Other suppliers are available.
The biggest snag I can see with satellite and 3/4G is the restriction on use. If wifey watches one Netflix movie (~90 mins) an evening that'll be in the order of 2 GB download or 60 GB/month, add on kids YouTubing and > 100 GB/month is on the cards.
We (2 + 1) normally manage to be just under 100 GB, (plenty of Youtube from the +1, maybe 5 hours of iPlayer downloads week, normal browsing/email is nothing). When it becomes 2 + 2 and Netflix gets a hammering 200 GB can be tight.
--
Cheers
Dave.
"Bod" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

On 04/05/2015 12:31, Brian Gaff wrote:

3G+ will do ~20Mbps iff you have a decent high gain directional aerial and are prepared to work at setting it up exactly right. Contention ratios at busy times of day and data charges are an issue though.
Likes of Solwise have kit that will support doing this sort of thing.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 04/05/15 12:31, Brian Gaff wrote:

No, not on the setup I had use of in mexico. (2 meter dish marked RCA on hotel roof)
No phone line existed.
On 04/05/15 11:18, Bod wrote:

£200 a month

IME not too bad. Seemed like about 3-4Mbps on the set up I used once in Mexico. Usable fiore brwosing if you waitred te odd secind for the latency.

Almost nonexistent :-)

VERY

indeed.
On 04/05/2015 11:10, Endulini wrote:

Try forums.thinkbroadband.com
I think you need a correctly aligned dish (not to 28.2e) and special LNB.
AIUI it is very much a solution of last resort. An ADSL line that syncs at say 1500 kbps is better, though I would not claim that is good enough for Netflix and just about tolerable for YouTube.
--
Michael Chare

On 04/05/15 11:18, Michael Chare wrote:

+10

Yes, they'll be picking your nursing home.

On 04/05/2015 11:10, Endulini wrote:

If you describe where it is you are moving to it is possible for a local expert to look up what capabilities are available there.
Netflix could easily be marginal to non-existent on rural broadband.

There are local microwave based links in various rural communities NYNet in North Yorkshire run several with coverage theoretically where I live but in practice the requirement for strict line of sight prevents me from getting it. It piggy backs onto schools broadband.
I could use 3G with an external aerial here (and I do as a backup when my fixed line is down). Data charges sting a bit on 3G typically ~£3-4/GB depending on whose you use. The 3G is faster than fixed line.
Satellite tends to have terrible latency and these days is a solution of last resort. Most rural lines can support at least ~1Mbps. There are a few dead spots where 256k is pushing it on corroded old aluminium.
Ballpark you need streaming at >1.5M for basic TV and ~4M for HDTV.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 04/05/2015 12:07, Martin Brown wrote:

THREE has the fastest 3G HSDCP signal in the UK. I regularly get between 10 and 20Gbps down and 3+ Gbps where I live(indoors). They are also one of the cheapest for unlimited mobile broadband. My landline broadband speeds are 6.5 Gbps down and a paltrey 0.7Gbps up.
On 04/05/2015 12:31, Bod wrote:

You have more bandwidth than some countries.
On 04/05/2015 13:50, Dennis@home wrote:

> My mobile phone can receive 4G, but sadly the 4G signal hasn't arrived here yet.
On 04/05/2015 12:31, Bod wrote:

Not often you see 700Mbps described as "paltry"
(I suspect your units might be a few orders of magnitude out there!)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 04/05/2015 15:18, John Rumm wrote:

Whoops, my M magically changed to G. Bloody keyboard! :-)
Really trying to depress him then.
It would also be interesting to ask any locals what they use. Often local knowledge can turn up the best of a bad bunch of choices.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
On 04/05/15 12:07, Martin Brown wrote:

One site I have experience of could only mange a 58k modem. ADSL simply wouldn't synch at all.