OT:RIP Jessops

Given how cheap the relatively expensive iPod shuffle is now that isn't really an excuse any more. Barely postage stamp size and GB of storage.

Clones of it are even cheaper!

Reply to
Martin Brown

In message , at 13:34:48 on Tue, 15 Jan

2013, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

That difference is what mass production and distribution does for you, compared to a one-off.

The only desktop upgrades I've done for a long time are new motherboards, but that usually means new DRRAM as well as the new CPU.

Still sticking to Plan A which is buying 3 year old [originally] high spec ones off eBay (same as with motor cars). Let someone else pay the early depreciation!

However, this doesn't really scale beyond the one-man business or the family.

Reply to
Roland Perry

floor space of any retail store.

Well yes and are those places cheaper than high streets places like covent garden and regent street and my closest at stratford 'city' westfield.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Think Richer Sounds still hold that title.

I'm not sure Apple Stores are retailers as much as a showroom.

Reply to
djc

floor space of any retail store.

This used to be (and looks like it still is) one of Richer Sounds claims to fame.

".....began trading when Julian opened his first shop at London Bridge, with the help of the late Vic Odden, the photography retailer. For the past 20+ years this store has been featured in the Guinness Book of Records for the highest sales per square foot of any retail outlet in the world "

Reply to
news

In message , at 16:22:09 on Tue, 15 Jan

2013, djc remarked:

I thought they were somewhere schoolkids went to play with iPads (or whatever) in the afternoon.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In article , F scribeth thus

+1 !...
Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Roland Perry scribeth thus

When we went there to buy a new TV I was appalled by the crap their customer "assistant" dispensed.

Gave up and whet to John Lewis, a better grade of informed salesperson saw a sale completed there and then;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , Mark writes

Problem was Blacks didn't manage their take over of Millets and so didn't reap any benefits. Morrisons take over of Safeways almost went the same way.

Reply to
bert

In message , tim..... writes

Millets in Hanley was but was far too small and their was a much bigger Blacks just down the road. Failure to rationalise.

Reply to
bert

No, they're the staff

Reply to
stuart noble

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 18:47 stuart noble wrote in uk.d-i-y:

One of these days I'm going to hang around the Covent Garden branch with a bright blue T-shirt on and "sell" android to anyone who mistakenly asks me what I'd recommend

hehe

Reply to
Tim Watts

I must be having an extra-thick day today. (Confirmatory comments *not* required.) Why did you go to an Apple store to buy a television?

Reply to
polygonum

I have no idea whether it is cheaper than Regent Street, but in most cities the largest new build mall will be the most prime site (though not always)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Only if you are the sort of person who will wear the high priced item until it wears out.

Individuals lacking a Y chromosome don't do that

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I'm allergic to Apple

tim

Reply to
tim.....

That's the place I routinely avoid.

Better value for money in the little cramped shops down the old alleyways.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Soz M8!! that looked here like that was referring to Richer sounds;!...

Seemed to be a jump in the news feed...

Reply to
tony sayer

Ah right. Well maybe the Apple store will become worth going to sometime later this year, next year, sometime...

Reply to
polygonum

No, I wondered the same

BTW does anybody know where this quote about them having the highest sales by area come from. Someone quoted it on (IIRC) Newsnight yesterday(day before), and I'm wondering if it might be just some wrongly calculated statistic (i.e. total sales divided by total area of shops, ignoring the fact that 90% of Apple's sales come from shops without "Apple" on the door)

tim

Reply to
tim.....