OT: Relensing glasses

However watching him at work did inspire confidence.

Reply to
ARW

Ahhh - thanks to Mike I see

is the new website. I am supposed to be doing an electrical test there soon

Reply to
ARW

Ironic considering that an optician is not interested in your vision and only concerned with selling you a piece of glass to stick in front of your face.

Reply to
RayL12

Alternatively;

In spite of the 20 minute testing done on your eyes, ultimately you will be taken into a back room where you will sit opposite a Snellen chart.

From that moment on a technician will drop various lenses into a contraption on your face while 'you' are asked if it is good enough.

While the type of glass may be of concern, on the whole, you may as well go to a market to buy your glasses. Print out a Snellen chart and do your own distance tests using info from Vision sites. But, as with the 'back room' tests, if they seem OK, they are. After all, that's what 'you' will 'tell' the optician who sells them you.

Reply to
RayL12

What's your problem?

I watched Rick make two lenses from a block of perspex, and before they went into the machine that made them fit my frames he bobbed them into a maching to see how accurate they were.

Reply to
ARW

My problem was not with Rick at all. He is other than the 'optician' who scams people.

Reply to
RayL12

So what is your problem with opticians?

Mine is brilliant. I have a new one called Rick

Reply to
ARW

In message , Huge writes

I've said it before and I'll say it again

just down the road from me

My scratch resistant, reactolite varifocals in a memory metal frame cost me £100 a couple of years ago. They don't usually like doing varifocals unless you are there, but if you still have the old lenses in , they can follow the line of the old lenses to make sure they get the position correct

Reply to
geoff

Might be useful if the servers default page for the old site was a redirect after a brief message to say the site has moved rather than showing random CMS filler rubbish.

On the new site some of the images of the specs are taken from below front left looking up. My brain first saw those as taken from above rear left looking down and they didn't look right at all. Then they flipped and now I can switch my perception of the image either way round...

The images taken from above front right corner don't have this problem. I suspect it's confusion with the arm passing the lens opening and there not being enough information for the brain to make the arm in front of or behind the lens.

I do like "This website is best viewed using Glasses from One Stop Glasses" in the footer. B-) They need to decide where they are going to center stuff in the footer though. Center on the whole width (as the driving lessons and copyright are) or center of the block to the right of the one containing contact, postage, terms, as the address and hosted by and card logos are.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Things may have chnaged in those two years, from their FAQ:

"Do you do varifocals or progressive lenses? Unfortunately we do not do complex prescriptions at this time. It is in

your interest to go along to your optician for prescriptions of this kind."

Unless of course you visited...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

- "Transitions" is misspelled on the front page.

But his prices are right. Does he do reglazing?

Reply to
Huge

I have emailed Rick to tell him about the thread - hopefully he will reply. He only uses the newsgroup every couple of months or so and will probably not have seen your question.

Reply to
ARW

Reply to
Huge

He reglazed my mother's glasses! Very helpful service that included sending her old pair so he could measure prescription and so on.

Reply to
polygonum

Is it?

I take all the criticism of the website on the chin. I keep setting about rebuilding/redesigning it and end up getting too busy, and then change my mind about what I want to do with it.

Sadly it doesn't make enough money to warrant paying someone and i'm not confident that chucking money at it would improve it's turnover.

It is what it is, it brings in a few orders each day usually from people who have bought from us before and makes us a bit of profit.

eyefultower.co.uk is (or will be when I get my arse in gear) the website for our bricks and mortar store. It's distinct unbuiltness does not inspire confidence but given the part of the world we are operating in I don't reckon it's a massive issue.

We also do wholesale work which despite us moving away from over the years has, without us really trying, got busy again. So me and my son spend most of our days thrashing through about 100 pairs of glasses in a noisy, cramped basement!

So in a nutshell i'm up to my arse in work while surrounded by unfinished, halfearsed projects.

I should be behind a desk by now.

Reply to
R D S

Can you elaborate on that? I don't understand.

Cheers.

Reply to
R D S

I'd like to know how you'd sort out your astigmatism correction, or fixation disparity, stereoscopy etc.

Plus much of the 'sight test' is actually an 'eye exam' and looks for health problems including potential issues with parts of the body other than the eye.

So have an eye test every two years, and if you find that they are hassling you into buying glasses that you don't want, go somewhere else. (A clue here, if they are offering a free/cheap eye test, they NEED to sell glasses. If they charge a reasonable fee for the exam (£25 upwards). And there's no shame in paying for a service rather than trying to wring everyone out.

Reply to
R D S

Reglazing can be a bit of a minefield so we don't push it.

Let me know what you've got and what you need in it and i'll get back to you. Reply-to is valid.

Cheers.

Reply to
R D S

My bug bear is jackfields. Small lettering on the labels means gettinga crick i the neck trying to read 'em.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Which bit the redirect or "CMS filler rubbish"?

The redirect might not be relevant now we know that eyefultower is really for the shop rather than online side.

The CMS rubbish is the distinct lack of real content as lots of things appear to be "filler" defaults. "TagLine Here" at the top, the About Us page just having the words "About us" etc.

Sites with "thin" content are fine, ones with random filler rubbish don't project a good image. What is there looks clean and well presented and does work well without having javascript enabled, which is great plus point.

It's not clear the the categories are frame brands and from my personal view I buy on style not brand. Being able to select things like frame material, broad lens shape and base frame color would be much better than having to trawl through each brand listing. Glasses, to me, are a necessity not a fashion statement...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice