The varifocals have arrived

Obviously I put them straight on to try them.
Wow.
There is some wobbly stairs effect but it is not that bad. Certainly nothing to worry about.
Using the computer seems odd. Looking down at the keyboard and then straight up at the screen I very clear picture with both. If the monitor is closer than arms length then that does not work.
I am however not going to wear them for the rest of the day. I might wear them to watch the match for a couple of hours tonight but I do not intend to walk or drive in them.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

When I first got varifocals I got a splitting headache all weekend, now my brain can switch between VF and a single vision 'backup' pair in about 30 minutes ...
On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 16:23:47 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

They'll probbaly break walking over them or driving over them ;-)
They are meant to go over your head and the eyes look through them.
yes a gramma cheque ;-)

I wouldn't, to start with. But I got used to mine within 24 hrs. The only proviso is you might find them a PITA for working above your head, because the "close-up" section is at the bottom of the lens, so you need to tip your head back a long way. I keep meaning to get some cheap single-vision glasses for, e.g., wiring up ceiling roses.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 46th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
~ Stercus accidit ~

That's the beauty of contact lenses. They correct your distant vision to normal so any old 'ready reads' are fine. Although you may well want more than one power. Or rather may as you get older. ;-)
--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman wrote:

I agree in terms of giving excellent width of vision, but having tried rigid gas permeable and daily soft ones several times, they always seem to 'droop' and need frequent blinking to keep them central on my eyeball.
The days of smokey pubs were pretty bad for the RGP ones ...

If a gas permeable type 'droops' it's down to poor design. Something to do with the curvature on the inside, IIRC.

Never gave me a problem. Been wearing hard lenses since 1970.
--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman wrote:

Yes optician tried different 'base curve' and another brand with different curves available, unfortunately they all had the same issue for me.
On 12/07/2018 08:51, Andy Burns wrote:

Your eyes are too spherical?

You can get "varifocal" contact lenses, they have rings with different powers around them. They bring close and distant to focus but they do lower contrast. There must be a compromise as in bright light there are less rings to use but there is increased DOF too.

I *really* don't see the point in degrading the main vision for the sake of possible convenience.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

On 7/11/2018 5:47 PM, Huge wrote:

I know a car mechanic who had a pair made with upside-down lenses, for when he's working under cars. It appears to work well.

See also Dennis Taylor.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 46th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
~ Stercus accidit ~
On 11/07/2018 19:25, Huge wrote:

I have a pair of those - I realised that I could not see what was going on at the end of the table, which made potting the buggers quite hard.
With the glasses however I can now report that not being able to see was only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the list of reasons for my outstanding lack of snooker talent!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 11/07/2018 19:25, Huge wrote:

I don't think he did, I think the frames were inverted in some way, you still want the near bit at the bottom when playing snooker.
On 12/07/2018 17:48, dennis@home wrote:

My snooker glasses are to all intents just normal fixed focus glasses but with no top to the frame so you can use all of the height of the lens blank rather than needing to cut it down to fit the frame.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 12/07/2018 20:15, John Rumm wrote:

Yes, putting varifocal lenses upside down for snooker would be daft. Hugely daft.
Putting a distance zone on the bottom then the reading zone and then the middle distance at the top might make sense for some people, but not just upside down.
It would be different for bifocals.

I wouldn’t either. You're sposed to walk and drive while wearing them, stupid.
On 11/07/2018 16:23, ARW wrote:

When I first had varifocals I found it difficult to drive my car through narrow gaps so I did not wear them for driving. I went on a a holiday in the USA and there I had to wear them so that I could read my GPS and see where the car was going. The roads there are generally wider so I was not having to position the car very precisely. However I did get used to driving with varifocals and have used them ever since.
--
Michael Chare

I never read mine, just listen to the turn by turn directions.