Brass door furniture

I have several door handles .. and interior side is OK ... but exterior has dulled badly. https://flic.kr/p/27WZ4dC
These are presumably brass (can't be 100% certain) at least look & feel like.
It will take some effort to polish back up ..... are there any good finishes that will protect them. I remember doing this on a previous house - bought spray on clear cote lacquer - didn't last 1 winter.
On 11/07/18 18:13, rick wrote:

Speaking from the POV of guitar parts and brass instruments, the problem is that oxidisation of the brass begins from the moment you've finished cleaning so the finish is being attacked from behind as well as on top. If you really want immaculate brassware I'm afraid you've got to polish it regularly. Ask the caretaker at No.10
Nick
On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 18:57:38 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:

or lacquer it
NT
I think he just explained why this does not work well, ie once the air is there the oxidisation starts, and any finish is not bound to the surface, only the oxide. Normally one uses an etch primer and then a top coat if its going to be painted, but on Brass if you want it to still look like brass your options are limited. I guess you could make it passivated, ie plated, but it seldom retains the brass look, tending toward a bit patchy rainbow coloured brassy look. You could talk to a local plating company and see what they say, but brass if you want it to look like brass has to be just polished at least once a week. It eventually ends up green otherwise! Brian
--
----- --
On Thursday, 12 July 2018 07:18:48 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

thank you for confirming it works great, and has done for well over a century
NT
Yes or use an etch and plate system of some kind so the outer finish is not a type which gets oxidised. It can then, however look a trifle artificial, Kind of blinged up. Brian
--
----- --
On 11/07/2018 18:57, Nick Odell wrote:

But what "finish" are you using on your stuff? Provided it is sufficiently impermeable to oxygen, the rate of attack from "behind" will be very small. The Victorians knew how to do it, you can still find lacquered brass that has not corroded where the lacquer remains unscratched or has not flaked off. The lacquer itself darkens because of oxidation so the colour changes somewhat.

While it's true that a factory applied lacquer seems to last much better than anything I've tried as DIY, I've not known of any that lasts 100 years or so outdoors. ;-)
--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:13:00 +0100, rick wrote:

I spent ages on some brass and it still wasn't that good. This stuff works!
https://www.rustins.ltd/rustins/our-products/renovators-for-metal/brass- restorer
On 11/07/2018 18:13, rick wrote:

anybody any suggestions ?