OT: Relensing glasses

I just got some new glasses, and my prescription has changed sufficiently that using my old ones as spares (and wearing for DIY!) is no longer an option, so I just called my optician and they want £240 to relens my old frames. Gulp. (OK, they're Varifocal Transitions with antiscratch and antiglare coatings, but £240!)
A (very) quick Google leads me to http://glassescomplete.co.uk , but they want £233.
Can anyone recommend anywhere cheaper to do this? The new ones were expensive enough as it is, without spending another £240 on the spares. And they want £150 to relens my prescription sunglasses, too!
--
Today is Boomtime, the 49th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

Unless there is something special about the lenses, why not try a pair of glasses from a pound shop for DIY/spare glasses?
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

"Unless there is something special". !
"Varifocal", "Transitions". Don't those words mean anything to you?
but the price is about what I paid a last summer for the same
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 02/05/2013 10:51, Huge wrote:

Compromise and have a pair of glasses only suited to close up work?
Varifocal Transitions are always going to be more expensive.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Thu, 02 May 2013 11:51:42 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

And for distance? Varifocals implies that the OP needs glasses for distance (myopia?) as well as close up (presbyopia?).
Compromise by dropping all fancy coatings, just have plain lenses. They
are spares FFS they aren't going to get much use! I bet you can halve th e price by doing that. The plain blank lenes are still going to be at the
£50/each mark being varifocal.
Or two sets of single vision specs may well be cheaper, nowhere near as
convient but again they are spares. Or a single vision distance and £1 shop close, ask the optician what strength for the close pair.
--
Cheers
Dave.

or like myself has severe astigmatism and short sight.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 02/05/2013 13:35, Dave Liquorice wrote:

It just means their ability to focus is limited, they may just be long or short sighted or both as I am.
On Thu, 02 May 2013 09:51:36 +0000, Huge wrote:

Not sure if they relens, by maybe try "SelectSpecs.com". I got a pair of glasses from them for £10 - frameless and very stylish.

They do reglazing, and if I've managed to work their desperately crap website right, it comes out at about £130, which is way better. Still more than I wanted to pay, but WTF.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 49th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"
On 02/05/2013 15:16, Huge wrote:

The quality of varifocals varies greatly. Are you sure you're comparing like with like?
You could check with your optician that the prescription has changed a great deal. Did you compare the new prescription with your existing glasses, and was there a big improvement?
I went the other way and reframed my existing lenses. That cost around £40. The lenses, which are complicated, cost about £200.
On 02/05/2013 10:51, Huge wrote:

Sounds cheap to me and I don't have varifocals.
Colin Bignell
On 02/05/2013 12:56, Nightjar wrote:

Depends where you go. If you insist on genuine titanium designer frames with coated NIkon lenses then I am sure you can drive the price up.
The cheapest offer I have seen recently were 2 pairs of boring ordinary glasses for about £60 on a run down shopping precinct near Manchester.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 02/05/2013 13:19, Martin Brown wrote:

Just needing complex lenses is enough to do that.
Colin Bignell
On 02/05/2013 14:01, Nightjar wrote:

ASDA do mine in fully coated hi index lenses for no extra charge. they do up to about 10 diopters cylinder + sphere before any extra charges are levied.
Last time I looked you could have a pair of varifocals for £90 or two for £150 IIRC. I can't find any internet shop that will do the same for less and ASDA fit them too.
If all you need are spherical lenses then the internet is quite cheap, anything you need to be measured for and they aren't as cheap.
On 03/05/2013 13:27, dennis@home wrote:

Complex lenses are, by definition, more than 10 dioptres. I also suspect that ASDA high index is more probably around 1.7, rather than the 1.85 or 1.9 that my prescription needs, to keep the weight down.

On line, I can find 1.9 RI lenses at £186 each, plus £50 for Transitions. My optician is cheaper than that.
Colin Bignell

What, just for new lenses in an old frame?
Do you go to an optician in a very expensive part of town?
tim
On 02/05/2013 18:35, tim...... wrote:

I have complex lenses (more than 10 dioptre correction). There is a very limited range of suppliers of those. In order to prevent the weight pulling the glasses down my nose*, I need to choose small lenses using high refractive index plastic. High refractive index lens need anti-reflective and anti-scratch coatings. That all adds to the cost and, as it is cheaper than having separate sunglasses, I also get Transition lenses. £120 a lens is quite cheap for that combination.
* With my level of correction, I can adjust from perfect distance vision to perfect reading vision by a fairly small amount of change in position up or down my nose.
Colin Bignell

iglare

ant

sive

want

Cheaper at "Specsaver".
On 02/05/2013 10:51 AM, Huge wrote:

In the mid 80's I was studying 18 hours a day for 6 years. During this time my eyes deteriorated and I was in need of glasses. A friend advised me to 'diy' with the glasses I was about to buy.
He urged me to buy a good sturdy frame off the sunglasses counter and present them, along with my prescription, to a local optician. And so I did. Frame costs; £6.
For his own needs my friend went the step further and took his prescription direct to a lens maker. After a little chat and money talk he came away with the lenses he wanted.
So, I offered the prescription and frames to my local optician. The look on his face told me he was not at all happy. Particularly as he was displaying from up and above £80.
I went back a week later to pick up my glasses and was met with the same discord as before. He spoke no words. He went under his counter picking up a coarsely bubble wrapped bundle and dropped it onto the counter where it bounced it's way across to me. He snorted £37 at me. I paid and left.
OK, I have to fit the lenses myself. No problem. I have made a saving. In has anger the optician hadn't even bothered to unwrap the bundle as it came from the lens manufacturer leaving the receipts inside. The cost to the optician? 1 lens @ £2.70, the other £3.50!
No wonder these robbing ******* try to make Vision Therapists seem like criminals.
...Ray.
--
One click voting to change the world.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/

OOI how are Varifocal Transitions different from "normal" Varifocal?
I have (or according to the optician - need) Varifocal with my current script (because the correction for long distance usage over-focuses for close up viewing, not because I need correction for both long distance and reading), turned out to be a complete waste of time and money.
The hazy bit in the middle makes them CFU at correcting my long distance sight at nighttime and they don't work at all for close up work, so I end up taking them off, just like I had to do before I got the VF.
(and I deliberately didn't use near-sight and long-sight because that's f-ing confusing)
tim