OT: Relensing glasses

In article , Huge writes

I've just paid £260 for similar glasses but these were top of the range with titanium frames. We have an independent spectacle chap locally; really knowledgeable about lens technology and cheaper than specsavers etc.

Previously I've had good service from 'optical4less' in Hong Kong. With varifocals it's a good idea to have them fitted rather than getting them over the internet. (I had some varifocals from Hong Kong; when I broke the frame I took them to the Fakenham eye man he put the lenses in a new frame and adjusted them properly; the improvement was dramatic. So I would say that the Hong Kong lenses were good but expert fitting to your individual head is very important.)

Reply to
Chris Holford

The worst thing is wiring ceiling roses ...

Reply to
Huge

I just had new lenses ... just reading prescrip .... in existing glasses, and a new pair as well for £80

But when I asked about changing presc lens in the sun glasses ... they wanted £80 .... but would sell me a 2 for 1 deal for £49 illogical ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

ASDA, new specs are only about £70.

Reply to
dennis

It just means their ability to focus is limited, they may just be long or short sighted or both as I am.

Reply to
dennis

ASDA do mine in fully coated hi index lenses for no extra charge. they do up to about 10 diopters cylinder + sphere before any extra charges are levied.

Last time I looked you could have a pair of varifocals for £90 or two for £150 IIRC. I can't find any internet shop that will do the same for less and ASDA fit them too.

If all you need are spherical lenses then the internet is quite cheap, anything you need to be measured for and they aren't as cheap.

Reply to
dennis

Just lie down on the scaffolding board.

Reply to
dennis

Complex lenses are, by definition, more than 10 dioptres. I also suspect that ASDA high index is more probably around 1.7, rather than the 1.85 or 1.9 that my prescription needs, to keep the weight down.

On line, I can find 1.9 RI lenses at £186 each, plus £50 for Transitions. My optician is cheaper than that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Slightly OT, but not totally...

Are there any online opticians which will accept a pair of glasses and determine the prescription of the lenses in them (for instance, for making up a duplicate pair)?

Thanks J^n

Reply to
jonnicoll11

I know a car mechanic who had an upside-down pair made for working under cars.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Not to mention Dennis Taylor - although I think they were singles.

Reply to
Bob Eager

thanks - both of you

why would someone want such a feature for their "spare" pair, I wonder

tim

Reply to
tim......

they did,

but by the time I worked out that they (seem to) have got it in the wrong place I'd had them too long to take back

(fortunately I have a spare "normal" pair as a BOGOF, so I wear them as the main pair now)

This does work, but the refocusing time make it a pain for constant use

tim

Reply to
tim......

because they might need to wear their spare pair when it's very sunny

Reply to
charles

I got my current pair relensed about a year ago through the local opticians'. Thought it'd be cheap, ha ha. Might as well have got new frames while I was at it.

Considering taking a punt on a new pair via this internet thing. Reading the professional forums there's a great deal of comment along the lines that only a hands-on optician can actually make sure that the right bits are in the right places, but MRDA.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

You could try asking these.

The owner posts on here from time to time and I watched him make the lenses for my glasses (including making up the mould as he did not have one for my prescription)

Reply to
ARW

Give RDS (Rick) a call and see what he charges.

And yes, he knows his web site needs tarting up.

Reply to
ARW

Hmmm. A content-free website does not inspire confidence.

Reply to
Huge

Bloody hell, that's impressive - replying to my posting before I made it. What are next week's lottery numbers?

Reply to
Huge

This is the up to date site I think.

One Stop Glasses

Welcome to our February newsletter.

Firstly we would like to apologise to anybody who has visited our site over the last few days and been unable to check out. Normal service has been resumed, feel free to purchase any items which may remain in your cart.

We have added a comments feature to the products on our site.

If you are happy with a purchase you have made from our site we would be very grateful if you could 'review' the product and share your experience with others. At the bottom of each product page is a box where you can leave any comments, you don't need to be logged in, simply enter your details as you would like them to appear.

Best regards,

Rick - One Stop Glasses

Reply to
mike