Eyeglasses again

Speaking of glasses . . . . . which we wee a few days ago, what do you do with the old ones?

I've been donating them to the Lions Club. They sort and categorize them by prescription. They take them to third world countries and give them to people that need them.

We discussed this with the optician tonight and she told us a couple stores. One was an elderly woman that never clearly saw her granddaughter until the Lions fixed her up with a pair of glasses. Seems they really do good work.

Lions often place a decorated mailbox at some stores. Here in our area, they park an old car with a depository in the back window.

I always keep my last pair for backup, but the previous pair is donated. I have a rather strong prescription. I can just imagine a native in Africa or the Amazon getting my glasses for the first time. It would be life changing for that person.

Donate them. A really cheap way to do some good.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wear them. I like the frames so I wear retreads.

Not a new idea, by any means. Do a web search on "donate + glasses" (no quotes).

Reply to
krw

wrote

You can still donate the old lenses. They also have a universal fit frame for that reason. The lenses are cut round and can fit anyone.

Never said it was new, but just a reminder for anyone not familiar with what can be done.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I could do that but they're pretty scratched (and chipped). I gotta get around to replacing both pairs.

Sure, I just wanted to add that there are many other places to recycle eyewear.

Reply to
krw