Spectacle screws: How to stop them coming lose?

What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate your guarantee from the optician? Why don't they do this for us? If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

Reply to
Graham.

Take them back and let the optician deal with it.

My previous pair where doing that,turns out the person who put the lenses in had cross threaded the damn screw and it worked loose over a few days. Had the cheek to say I done the damage.

Reply to
George

Forgot to say...

If you really want to secure a fix? a piece of thin fusewire fitted into the frame screwhole and then screw in the screw and cut off the excess fusewire sticking out.

Reply to
George

Graham. laid this down on his screen :

A small dab of Locktite on the thread

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Summats wrong with them then, is the joint fully closing when you tighten them?

As someone else said, loctite, or if you have some handy a dab of touch up paint on the screw head with a bit of overlap should stop it turning.

Reply to
R D S

You should try the pair that one of my kids has just got.

Lens fell out, screw missing, so I took the specs back to the optician to sort. They couldn't; transpired they were "unusual" and they had to send away for parts! Took almost a week.

Less than a week later the same thing happened again, so I took them back to the optician again in a strop. Turns out they'd got a complete new duplicate "unusual" pair in previously to sort us out, which meant that they had one more screw left to fix it the second time.

On closer examination, apparently the way these work is that they have

*two* screws in either side of the lens, one male and one female - like mini versions of those plastic paired screws which you connect adjacent kitchen units together with. You have to hold prevent one screw from rotating using a one slotted jeweller's screwdriver while using a second screwdriver to turn the head of the other screw 180 degrees opposite IYSWIM. A *lot* easier said than done, and hardly surprising it's impossible to nip the bloody screws up tight enough to stop them working loose. Fab design, huh?

I've told them next time it happens I shall expect a new pair of specs...

David

Reply to
Lobster

I had that problem, too - my current ones don't have any screws! They're flexible, lightweight titanium.

Reply to
S Viemeister

A blob of clear nail varnish...assuming you've got access to such stuff.

Reply to
Lino expert

Agreed they must be new if under warranty and if there is danger of the warranty being voided by "unauthorised repair" then it is the only option.

A proper opticians won't have a problem with this, a buy one get one free, prescription glasses in 1 hour shop might...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Try using _both_ hands, to remove your glasses. You said it's the RH lens that 'pops out' - chances are you're right-handed!

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Lindbergs then. I can't see the point TBH - yes, they last ages, but relensing them is as expensive as a set of run of the mill frames.

Reply to
Doki

Seconded. Loctite and a bit of care when putting them on and taking them off. My bird used to work repairing glasses and most frames end up knackered because people stretch at the hinges taking them off with one hand.

Reply to
Doki

I don't see a name on them - just 'made in Austria'. They're very lightweight, important for me due to a strong prescription, and I _never_ have to retighten or replace scews.

Reply to
S Viemeister

If you could recall or use a magnifying glass that could be helpful to me. I use varifocal plastic and have tried several different styles of nose bridges, I do find the experience painful and wish to minimise the load!

Reply to
Clot

In message , Doki writes

[snip]

I would suggest that if as you say, that taking them of with one hand is what 'most' people do, then the frame manufacturers have failed to provide a product which is even close to meeting 'most' of their customer needs.

Ford: Yeah we have a problem with people trying to start our cars. Engineer: Well, thats their problem, they should know better.

I do not doubt your or your 'birds' view, and I do understand that neither of you are the designers of such frames but I really don't accept it is my fault. I'm right handed, it is how I was born. Someone

Reply to
somebody

Looking at them more closely, under a magnifying glass, I see 'Silhouette' next to 'Made in Austria'. They're completely frameless - the only metal bits are the temples and the nose piece, which are attached directly to the lenses.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Most people also replace their frames every time their prescription changes. Sprung hinges go some way towards reducing the problem, but eventually play develops in the sprung part of the hinge. The only other option is to make the glasses so rigid that people can't take them off by stretching them around their head, and I doubt people would buy glasses that heavy or bulky.

IMO it's more akin to getting in and out of your car via the windows and then complaining that the doors all scratched. It is something that should be mentioned when people buy glasses or bring them in for repair.

Reply to
Doki

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember somebody saying something like:

I don't recall that being in Viz. Not very funny.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks for that. It'll help me when on the lookout for the next set.

Reply to
Clot

And why can we not - since deregulation or whatever it was - now buy frames that are made to fit our heads/ears/noses, i.e. with arms etc of different sizes. My limited experience of buying glasses, having had the same pair for over 10 years, is that one must hunt the shelves to find a pair that fits rather than choosing a pair that one likes and having them made to fit.

Richard

Reply to
Richard