OT: recommendations for car breakdown cover?

I've been considering changing from the AA to ADAC for a while now. It's the same story every year when the renewal comes up, the price dramatically rises from last years rate of about £80 to about 140. A phone call to tell them I am cancelling because that is too much and as if by magic, it reverts back to 80. So I subscibe for abother year. I suppose they play the percentage game of a lot of folk just blindly accepting the exorbitant increase without question.

Reply to
Bod

In message , Peter Johnson writes

Does that extend to an ancient Hilux?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

An interesting thread to me. To the OP, had you considered these PAYG services? I hope you don't mind my hijacking your thread.

One of our cars has basic cover via NFU car insurance ....at the moment... but given their ever increasing premia they may well lose my business at next renewal. Our other car has just come out of the 3 year manufacturer's warranty which included an AA package. Now, I've never been a member of any rescue service and in nearly 40 years of motoring have never needed any assistance - in spite of tending to drive older cars by virtue of buying newish and keeping them for far too long! However, now with the increased use of electronics and decreased agility I'm thinking I would like access to some form assistance.

I've come across the following PAYG services:

1) AA - but you need a smartphone - you buy an app for £5 (I think per annum) and then £80 each time you call them out. I haven't a smartphone and suspect that even if I had, the likelihood of breaking down somewhere that had appropriate coverage might be a problem. 2) RAC - offer a service to non-members but charge you £99 to come out to you and force you to join up there and then for full rate 3) Green Flag - offer similar to above but I haven't been able to find out what they charge you when you need them 4) Then there's RTR (Road to Recovery) with whom you register (as AA for a nominal fee) and then they come out and charge you for any repair/recovery at similar rates to those which you'd have to pay if you managed to call the nearest garage to where you need them 5) National Breakdown offer a similar service to RTR but are somewhat less transparent in their call out charges.

What does the team think? I remember when sorting out my father's estate many years ago I found his RAC key in an unopened envelope dated some 40+ years earlier and thought then how much he'd paid over all those years. For nothing.

I'd be particularly interested if anyone uses these PAYG options to know their opinion. Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
ianp5852

Most interesting. What is the maximum allowance for towing and how far would it get me in the UK?

Reply to
ARW

Not sure offhand as to how much - ?250 rings a faint bell - and "how far" depends. I _think_ it was about 100 miles worth in France.

Reply to
Adrian

That has made me decide to stick with the AA (provided they drop their prices again at renewal time). I can often be more than 100 miles from home and as my brother runs a garage then guess where I want my van taking to if it breaks down?

Thanks

Reply to
ARW