Car/Caravan breakdown cover

Renewal time, so what's worth having?

I need the option of recovery back to home, of the entire outfit, even if the caravan is on a site, at time of breakdown/not on tow.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Nearest I have found, without joining a club - is LV's Brittania Rescue. I've rung them and they claim a caravan would not be abandoned on a site, far from home, if the tow car had to be taken home for repairs. The person I spoke to, had to confer with another at the help desk. They also seemed of the same opinion as me - it would be a ridiculous situation, to abandon a caravan on a site, far from home. However, most breakdown companies, claim the caravan has to be attached to the car, for repatriation of both to occur. I could not see any confirmation of that, though, in their policy document...

Anyone know for sure?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

It's a long time since I owned a caravan but, 20 years or so ago, I had a deal with Green Flag via the Caravan Club which provided the sort of thing you're looking for. Seems like they still do it. See

Roger Mills

I’ve found Cover for the MH, including Europe ( 365 days ), at home is cheaper as an add on to its insurance- especially as it isn’t limited to

3.5T ( ours is over that). When we used it in France several years back, they were great, including towing the trailer and storing it while the MH was repaired.

The RAC isn’t cheap. We it mainly the other cars, including Europe cover ( which is expensive ). It only covers one vehicle in Europe at a time. I think it was last used when we had the daughters on it and one of them had a problem while too far away for me to get there.

We use Comfort for the MH insurance, I assume they do cars / caravans.

Reply to
Brian

We use Mayday/Green Flag.

One thing to be wary of: Some breakdown insurance outfits limit the maximum length of a van they will (re)cover (from memory, 7 metres is a common limit).

If your van is longer than that, you could be left high & dry.

P.S. Our van is exactly 7 metres long. P.P.S Green Flag do not have a van length limit.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I’ve made two big claims with the Caravan Club following a caravan write-off 20 odd years ago and a motorhome theft a couple of years ago. On both occasions they were quick, helpful and very fair (even more than fair) in the compensation paid.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again (if they’ll have me). ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

After email Their reply was that with their £70 National Recovery/UK Recovery - caravan would be collected and repatriated to home if necessary, along with the car. I would just need to let them know when I contacted them, where the caravan was, and the car, so they could arrange things.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Probably also worth checking that they don't do a relay type recovery where thay take car/caravan so far then drop them off for the next garage to pick them up 'sometime'

Reply to
Bev