OT: Rattling helicopter

Yesterday, I heard the sound of a helicopter nearby, but with a loud rattle as well as the normal noises. It flew past, quite high and fast. It was civilian.
I hope it managed to reach somewhere safe, although we are in the country, so there are plenty of fields around, but I have never heard this kind of noise coming from a flying machine of any kind, let alone one that needs all its parts in perfect order. There were no reports on the TV news of crashed helicopters, I am glad to say.
--
Davey.

On 31/07/2020 23:23, Davey wrote:

slap
On 31/07/2020 23:29, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

Blade slap is much more of a whump-wmump-whump (5Hz?)noise than a rattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr58MdCKJT8

On 01/08/2020 10:38, soup wrote:

no soup for me...come back one year!
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 23:29:20 +0100

A little more explanation would have helped. I thought you were insulting me.
--
Davey.

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 01:05:49 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

Not to mention that the rotor blades have to remain in sync or they truncate each other.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Saturday, 1 August 2020 09:27:00 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Quite - that is pretty much the "Why?" loss of single rotor is unsurvivable.
On 01/08/2020 09:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:

er no, they are in slightly different planes.
--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

True, but there is quite a lot of flex. IIRC once you lose synchronisation and things go a bit dynamic they can collide.

Indeed. I would imaging that the blade pitch rather than speed would be the way that load adjustments are made.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 01/08/2020 09:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:

In the Chinook the Engines drive a common shaft which is connected to a whoopedo gearbox that ensures the rotors are synced
On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 09:26:57 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

ISTR that the military version has something to prevent that. Even so, I really didn't like a time when a Chinook would fly along a local road at very low altitude. Several times it was above me - I was doing about 15 - 20mph and the Chinook was about twice that, so rather a long time when it was a danger. I guess that crashing at a shallow angle isn't the shortest stopping it can do.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Blind user, so no pictures please!
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 09:52:20 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yep, twin engined over London, think the same applies to other large built up areas as well. Single engined helicopters not allowed or they have to be high enough to be able to gyro to surrounding open space.
--
Cheers
Dave.

or to the river.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 11:09:36 +0100, charles wrote:

large

Can't think of a suitable river in Birmingham...
--
Cheers
Dave.

I was pointing our that a river makes a suitable emergency site.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

A lot better than the roof of a pub, that’s for sure. Twin engines didn’t do much to stop the Clutha pub crash.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 01/08/2020 16:15, Tim+ wrote:

Wasn't that a fuel problem so both engines went quiet ? It wouldn't have made any difference if the helicopter had one or twenty engines.
On 01/08/2020 18:00, soup wrote:

Quite. Having ignored the warnings it was too late to go anywhere but down once it went bad.