OT Raspberry-pi newsgroup starts

news:comp.sys.raspberry-pi

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Only just? I'd have thought it would have had one a long time ago.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Within the last week. It seems they're a lot more picky than they used to be about starting newsgroups or maybe it's persuading servers to carry it that's the difficulty. I supported a campaign to get it going so it's not automatic.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Ta...

Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Reply to
John Rumm

Something up with your news server? I see 11 active threads at the moment.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

just as the Pi goes on sale in the USA.

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Get posting then. A decent x86 emulator has just come out for it, and it'll play Doom! What other reason do you need to get a Pi?

for-the-raspberry-pi

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

eh? Around 28 posts today.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought it was available worldwide anyway. Has something else happened to aid sales in America?

James

Reply to
James Harris

Quite - I currently see 66 posts since Tuesday. Maybe John needs a new news provider! ;-)

James

Reply to
James Harris

Perhaps giganews is too much of a backwater! ;-)

To be fair, I can see some thread there now - just not when Dave posted the original message.

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , James Harris escribió:

model B available for a year, model A just launched, according to this:

in-the-us-on-launch-day

beats me why anyone would save a couple bucks by going for the A.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The main attraction of an A is the low power consumption. Being cheaper is also a bonus for some "embedded" style applications.

I used one the other day for a client who wanted a promo video running on a TV in a window display. The original plan was simply to stick it on a USB flash drive and let the TV's media player deal with it. Alas it gave an ugly warning each time it started to play the particular video they had had prepared. So a bit of experimentation with a pi showed that it would play it flawlessly over HDMI. A model A had a low enough power requirement that it could be powered from the TV's USB port, giving a simple self contained solution.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, looks like it was the cheaper Model A going on sale.

Andy Burns

Great! I hate to use all those web based forums. It's so inefficient to point, click, type, paste, and copy in the browser. It's so much better to browse the threaded groups and typing messages in emacs/gnus.

//Petter

Reply to
Petter Gustad

En el artículo , Petter Gustad escribió:

+1

And you can't killfile idiots and trolls.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I agree, but Usenet is dying.

:o(

Reply to
Huge

In article , Huge writes

Still twitching, but I fear 'Film at 11' will shortly become a reality.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Not for another year - paid my Berlin sub the other day. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

No: just shrinking back to the places where it actually is a superior way of doing things.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher