OT, question

What do actors, politicians and footballers have in common? they all congratulate each other for merely doing their jobs.

Reply to
Broadback

And encouraged to do it by the people that put them on their pedestals.

Scary to think that a fair percentage of the population look up to these :-(

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

So if you do a good job, your boss does not tell you? That is what is wrong with British Management.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is one thing being congratulated by your boss, but surely you would not expect his to act as though you were a footballer who had scored a goal and he/she and all you workmates would bestow you with hugs and kisses?

Reply to
Broadback

A slightly different thing I'm afraid. Acceptance by One's peers is a remarkably satisfying achievment and although One is tempted to be humbled occasionally, it is in fact a duty to do everything in One's power to provide the best possible service to employer and client alike, without the need for adulation.

Sadly the most glowing complement I had on my previous company was for a training course. The quality of which was frankly an embarrasment, it was hurried due to software issues on the project and I developed flu halfway through. We did have a damned good spread though, the quality was impressive and I had nothing to do with it! But the letter of thanks for the excellent training was stuck on the notice board in the office back home :-(

It totally wrecked my reputation. No one has ever emerged happy from one of my sessions.

The congrats givent to media personalities is something totally different. It's a self publicising thing to give the useless plonkers more kudos and keep them in the public eye. It benefits them and the people running the stunts and indeed that is the purpose.

I once obtained a football award in Ireland, a joke in itself, I should have known better. A rural area in the middle of a tourist spot trying to keep a hotel going. A nice move dreaming up the prizegiving, it dragged the people in from miles away and I even brought forward a trip from the UK to accommodate it.

After I sobered up it came to me that my only contribution to football was similar to that portrayed in Loaches Kes.

I hated the bloody game, and doubt that I ever played a serious game in Ireland once!

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Broadback pretended :

Well that would depend on the sex and look of ones boss shirley?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Far better to call them a bunch of lazy c**ts, and attempt to cut their pay in any way you can.

Proved to work by the history of the UK. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)