OT: Printing problem

OT fro this group, but a lot of knowledgeable people here.

MY Dell 1320c network printer has been printing OK for the last year from my Windows 7 Home Premium desktop and from other comps on the network. All of a sudden it has stopped printing from the Win7 machine but continues to print from other machines. I've deleted and reinstalled the printer and it printed a test page at the end of the installation process, but still refuses to print from programs. Any help appreciated. Regards Iain

Reply to
Iain

I have the same printer. A fine model. I blame Win7 then. Mine only stops talking to things if it manages to grab the wrong IP address after a mains power failure or something like that.

Is it installed onto a network or USB and printer shared?

Can you see it on the network from your Win7 machine? Open it? Ping it?

Now that is very odd. I'd check firewall and network settings.

regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

How do you delete a printer..angle grinder ? :-)

What happens when you try...?

And try turning off all firewalls - maybe a security update has decided network printing is Dangerous Around Small Children (TM).

If the test page is a windows 7 test page, then that means the computer is communicating..however

the lack of program access is weird..what happens when you TRY..does te correct dialogue pop up? or is the printer simply 'not there'

Oh, and how does the printer normally appear? is it 'network browseable? There are distinct issues with SMB2.0 on windows 7 operating against older 'servers'

Personally I always use HPdirect sockets meself..simplest network style there is..'there is a pseudo parallel port at the end of this IP address:socket number'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi Martin, It's installed on a proper network with a static IP address. I can access the printer via Firefox. When I try to print anything Windows displays the printer dialogue box and when I click on OK it sends a wakeup signal to the printer but then nothing! I've switched off Zone Alarm but it made no difference. Regards Iain

Reply to
Iain

When I try to print the print dialogue box appears and when I click on OK it sends a wakeup signal to the printer but then nothing else. the printer is network browsable. The printer is plugged into a Netgear DG834PN router. Regards, Iain

Reply to
Iain

try a really simple print of something very very basic. after rebooting windows of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've rebooted windows and opened wordpad to print a test doc. File > Print click Ok in dialogue box. Wakeup signal sent to printer and Document briefly appeared in print queue then disappeared. Nothing printed. Regards, Iain

Reply to
Iain

Hmm. It seems there are updated 7 compatible drivers for that printer. It MAY be worth downloading them and using those instead.

Its a faff to find them but start here

The Natural Philosopher

What does the Win7 print queue for that printer show? You should see the thing appear and disappear there even if it is being silently dropped on the floor. And you should be able to watch both ends

- the PC spool and the printer jobs list on Firefox.

I'd still hazard a guess something is filtering a port somewhere.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

It seems that I've already got the latest drivers installed. I've used system restore to roll back to 13/12/2011 in case one of Microsofts updates has screwed up, but no joy I'm afraid.

Regards, Iain

Reply to
Iain

well I couldn't suss whether or not it was a postcript printer, because Ive seen PS printers stall completely because windows didn't send the 'end of document' code.

Is this on one Win7 or lots?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's on Win7 64bit, Win7 32bit, xpPro x 2. The only one with the problem is the Win7 64bit. regards Iain

Reply to
Iain

I don't have a WIn7 64 box to hand but its fine here on Win7 32.

I'd be inclined to suspect one of last weeks huge number of MS security patches for the demise of your printers functionality in Win7/64.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

yeah. MS has only must discovered 64 bit...5 years after everyone else..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This may seem a strange question but have you changed your password or the name of the printer?

Windows 7 likes to have a password set before it will talk to a printer and, when it does, it reverts to DOS naming policy, i.e. maximum of 8 letters or numbers.

One step forward, two steps back.

Reply to
Howard Neil

I've rolled back to 13/12/11 but problem remains.

Regards, Iain

Reply to
Iain

Is the printer available to all users on your computer.

Reply to
hugh

Only one user account on this machine. Regards, Iain

Reply to
Iain

They issued an insane number of zero day exploit patches Tuesday last week it would not surprise me at all if some of them broke other code.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Have you power cycled the printer? The HP laser here will occasionally "disappear" from the network as far as printing is concerned but you can still explore it's status via the web interface.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice